News:

Prehistoric Soul - 2024

We are pleased to announce that the forum has been successfully updated to the latest version. While the process has been gradual and some posts were unfortunately lost, the forum is now operating on a stable platform. Over the coming weeks, we will continue to make periodic updates, including adjustments to colors, advertisements, and other features. In the meantime, we encourage you to catch up on old posts or contribute new ones. Thank you for your patience and continued support.

Main Menu

Where's Waldo (18APR2018)

Started by Pinoyfisher, April 19, 2018, 01:35:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pinoyfisher

Moved our usual Thursday session up a day to avoid the rain that was forecasted. Tried a spot that has worked for me in the past. Conditions were pretty decent for most of the night. Once the tide peaked, most of the salad on the beach would get sucked out and end up in our lines.

By the time I hit the sand, Binh already beached a 52" bat and lost another large bat. He eventually went 2 for 4 on the big bats. The loose drag setting didn't help the cause. I gave him an earful about that.  >:(

One of his bats going 50"+

I had my fair share of bats too, one over 40" and this one at 51".

It was a batty night. 6 bats, lost and landed, in total is no bueno outside of the SNBF. It's been a weird start to the grinner season for me. Plenty of grunion last night as well. Gotta fish when there's live chum! There was a brief lull as the tide began to swing and Binh was already setting the timer. I convinced him to stay until midnight and I mentioned several of my recent grinners were in the hour after the high. I settle down on my cooler and open up Facebook and Binh yells at me that my rod is doubled over. Grab the rod and push the star drag forward a bunch to put the hurt on it. Immediately recognized it wasn't a bat, but there was some doubt because of how much running it did. Then came the intermittent pauses in the action as it was swimming towards me. Several huge runs got me into my braid that I haven't seen since I spooled up the reel. Good thing I was using my Fathom40 and had 40lb main line. My drag was buttoned big time. Binh got a quick refresher in sandhanding and I finally broke my sharkless streak with a PB nonetheless.

73" Soupfin

Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

sasquatch

xjchad

That's a big Soupie! Nice Mike!  8)

vdisney

Quote from: sasquatch on April 19, 2018, 02:06:20 PM
Nice one Mike.

X2....................soupfin are such cool looking animals   :)
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect

1morecast

That was a big soup last night. Thick too.
2016 Summer Shark Fishing Champion :)
Twenty Three (23)

Pinoyfisher

Quote from: 1morecast on April 19, 2018, 04:37:29 PM
That was a big soup last night. Thick too.

It was a great night with all the action we had! Strange we're seeing so many bats. Last year it was all grinners.
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

BenCantrell

That's a big soupfin, congrats!

Latimeria

Beautiful Mike!  That's a legit Soupie for sure!

Tell Binh to trust his drags Damn-it!  lol
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

Latimeria

I'm updating the shark list now.
You can't catch them from your computer chair.