News:

Prehistoric Soul - 2024

We are pleased to announce that the forum has been successfully updated to the latest version. While the process has been gradual and some posts were unfortunately lost, the forum is now operating on a stable platform. Over the coming weeks, we will continue to make periodic updates, including adjustments to colors, advertisements, and other features. In the meantime, we encourage you to catch up on old posts or contribute new ones. Thank you for your patience and continued support.

Main Menu

Lure recommendation needed

Started by Pinoyfisher, August 22, 2018, 04:05:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pinoyfisher

Looking for a Lucky Craft style lure for use in Cabo. LCs are too expensive to risk losing there. To be used on a typical surf light setup, Shimano Sahara 2500 reel and a Clarus 8'6" rod.
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

xjchad

Yo-Zuri make some similar ones that I've used with good results.
Daiwa SP Minnows are good too and half the price. Lots of sizes.

Fish Jerk

I would second the Daiwa SP minnow in the 13 or 15 size.  the 13 is a shade bigger than a 110 FM and weighs a bit more casts as well or better than the LC and runs 8.99 retail. if your looking for a bigger minnow plug yo-zuri recently came out with their Hydro LC (Long Cast) model that runs around 10 retail, smallest size on this one is 6" and 1.25 oz though.

Pinoyfisher

Thanks for the recommendations guys! Will do some online shopping tomorrow when I get to work... hahaha. Just starting to get things together. I'll post up a thread on what I'm bringing as I near my trip date.
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

xjchad

Latimeria

I bought these thinking they would be one and done junk, but they work awesome!  Hooks are a little weak, but the lures run true and feel just like a rapala.  My thumbs up for them.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/5-PACK-Rapala-X-Rap-Style-Crankbait-Jerkbait-Fishing-Lures/372076308538?hash=item56a179e83a:g:IIAAAOSwddhZvBf~

You can't catch them from your computer chair.

Pinoyfisher

Quote from: Latimeria on August 22, 2018, 08:23:54 PM
I bought these thinking they would be one and done junk, but they work awesome!  Hooks are a little weak, but the lures run true and feel just like a rapala.  My thumbs up for them.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/5-PACK-Rapala-X-Rap-Style-Crankbait-Jerkbait-Fishing-Lures/372076308538?hash=item56a179e83a:g:IIAAAOSwddhZvBf~

My kind of price point! I'll give it a shot too.
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

Fish Jerk

Actually they almost look identical to the x-rap. I might just need to get some to try for calicos from the surf, perfect to throw in rocky kelpy areas with single hooks and not really care about losing a lure.

Tom, how well do they cast?

Pinoyfisher

Quote from: Fish Jerk on August 22, 2018, 08:58:45 PM
Actually they almost look identical to the x-rap. I might just need to get some to try for calicos from the surf, perfect to throw in rocky kelpy areas with single hooks and not really care about losing a lure.

Good question. Will more than likely replace hooks with some VMC inlines.
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

Fish Jerk

Hard to beat at <3.25 each. Lol be more pissed about having to tie a new leader than losing the lure at that price.

Latimeria

Quote from: Fish Jerk on August 22, 2018, 08:58:45 PM

I have x-raps and can't tell the difference for the most part except the hooks.  I've already caught some nice fish on them in SD bay. Totally ripped off a rapala model, but for that price you can't beat them. 

Latimeria

BTW, the hooks are not that cheap.  I snagged a big bat ray while trolling SD bay with Steve and I had that fish under heavy pressure the entire fight without a hook issue.  They worked just fine and  I'm down to 4 now.  lol

Eric H

Imo spend the money and buy what you like. I love throwing the Big LC 190SR and rapala X Raps. The make a long cast version you can really bomb out there. I like their jerks and lipless shallow one too. They all get desteoyed