News:

Prehistoric Soul - 2024

We are pleased to announce that the forum has been successfully updated to the latest version. While the process has been gradual and some posts were unfortunately lost, the forum is now operating on a stable platform. Over the coming weeks, we will continue to make periodic updates, including adjustments to colors, advertisements, and other features. In the meantime, we encourage you to catch up on old posts or contribute new ones. Thank you for your patience and continued support.

Main Menu

The La Jolla Triangle (2019-11-03)

Started by BenCantrell, November 04, 2019, 12:07:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BenCantrell

Did a solo trip in La Jolla yesterday.  I showed up later than most, which made for tough parking, but unloading gear without a headlamp was nice.  The surf was less than a foot which made for a super easy launch.

I finally figured out how to turn contour lines on my fish finder map, which meant I could actually plan out where I wanted to go.  My plan was to bottom fish in 300 ft to try to get a squarespot rockfish for my lifelist, so I dropped a waypoint a few miles away and started paddling.

Unsurprisingly, the bottom there didn't have any structure, but it was more of a proof of concept than anything, so I dropped pieces of squid down to see if I could pull something up.  Right away I had small savage bites, and I started pulling up sanddabs.  The first one was a longfin, which is a new species for me!

Proof of my 300 ft sanddab fishing:

I caught a few that were big enough to keep and stashed them in a walmart bag in the shade.

While I was out there I had some juvenile fish use my kayak for shelter.  Pretty sure they were halfmoons. They enjoyed chopped up squid tentacles.

A few dink rockfish were mixed in as well. Here's a halfbanded and a blue.

For the remainder of the day I paddled over to the 150 ft to 75 ft deep area near the kelp where most of the boats fish.  I had a genuine shot at a mako that was finning near me, but I whiffed and missed my chance.  Caught some more variety from the bottom including copper rockfish, gopher rockfish, kelp rockfish, scorpionfish, whitefish, and mackerel.

This guy ate both my baits:

Here's the the route for the day.

miles: 10.09
hours: 6:51

And the fish that came home:

I take a lot of pictures.  :D

Latimeria

Hell of a yak journey Ben!  You missed some great piles though after seeing your journey. 

Great bunch of fish and even better looking bags of groceries! 
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

BenCantrell

Quote from: Latimeria on November 05, 2019, 06:22:35 AM
Hell of a yak journey Ben!  You missed some great piles though after seeing your journey. 

I can definitely plan out a more strategic route for the next trip.  Google maps satellite view shows some interesting spots that might hold fish.

vdisney

Very cool indeed, awesome photography..........
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect