News:

Prehistoric Soul - 2024

We are pleased to announce that the forum has been successfully updated to the latest version. While the process has been gradual and some posts were unfortunately lost, the forum is now operating on a stable platform. Over the coming weeks, we will continue to make periodic updates, including adjustments to colors, advertisements, and other features. In the meantime, we encourage you to catch up on old posts or contribute new ones. Thank you for your patience and continued support.

Main Menu

Grocery Shopping (12/29)

Started by Latimeria, December 30, 2019, 04:21:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Latimeria

Finally started to shake the Flu and needed to get the boat out at least once during my break.

I heard that the yellows were still biting and never left.  I went out to a fleet of boats, but never saw a single one hooked up.  I metered a few, but spent 3 hours trying for some bigger game to no avail.

I switched up to dropping the irons for rockfish instead and got my limit before the season closes on the first of Jan.  I did very well on the bass, but mostly all were 12-14 inch models.  I also caught Sand Bass 2:1 over the calico.

I was using some new irons that I got for Christmas and they worked so much better than the usual megabaits!

Browns

Multiple Treefish with some biggies!

I was passing clouds and clouds of sardine!  The bait boats were there purse seining for the bait receivers.

I kept my limit of bottom fish.  Not giants, but pretty decent quality for where I was fishing.

I also decided to keep some perch for the next time I go surf sharking!  All big Blacksmith and should make good bait.  After all, Jim would try them.  ;D

It went from rough first thing in the morning, to flat calm, to just ramping up again as I was coming in off the big pond.

No yellows, but was a fun morning trip to end the year out!

Thanks for reading.

You can't catch them from your computer chair.

spideyjg

I substitute saltwater panfish for freshwater panfish when catfishing.

Good you shook your flu. I'd take 2 flus over this sciatic pain that has me out of commission. Can barely walk at all and forget standing.

jrodda

Interesting to see the blacksmith ending up as bait, I don't see them very often but perch is perch! Looks like a nice day.

BenCantrell

Latimeria

Quote from: jrodda on January 02, 2020, 06:22:46 PM
Interesting to see the blacksmith ending up as bait, I don't see them very often but perch is perch! Looks like a nice day.

I've used Blue Perch in the surf with a bunch of success.  Smelly bastards, but the sharks liked them.  It's worth a try for these Blacksmith at least.  I've caught big halibut which puked them out so I know they are edible!  LOL
You can't catch them from your computer chair.