News:

Prehistoric Soul - 2024

We are pleased to announce that the forum has been successfully updated to the latest version. While the process has been gradual and some posts were unfortunately lost, the forum is now operating on a stable platform. Over the coming weeks, we will continue to make periodic updates, including adjustments to colors, advertisements, and other features. In the meantime, we encourage you to catch up on old posts or contribute new ones. Thank you for your patience and continued support.

Main Menu

He's Back!!!! (1/23)

Started by Latimeria, January 23, 2020, 09:20:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Latimeria

So, after a ton of unsuccessful attempts to get out  after a crazy month, I pick a terrible day to get back out in the surf.  Magic Seaweed said 2-3 feet surf... I like to say they are usually a foot or two off, but they were about 3+ feet off today.  The surf was huge and pumping!  I drove up and down a few beaches, but decided to try a beach that Sasquatch and I were talking about for a few months.

I pinned on a whitefish head and cast into the 4-8' surf with the biggest sputniks I own.  Seriously 10 minutes after my cast and I had a totally shark hit!  By the time i grabbed the rod from the rod holder, it flopped off.... f@ck...

I pin a second on and it mysteriously disappears...

I switch to a Johnny Bass head and get picked up again!  This time I stick the bastard really good!

Up and down the surf as the current was grabbing it.  It felt like a huge one, but every time it surfaced, it looked a lot smaller than I was expecting.
The damn bastard found this mushroom shaped reef piece and wrapped onto it.  i tried to get it free, but it busted the line and I lost everything.

I retied the shock leader and rebaited with some of my last bonito.  I had a few hits, but nothing obvious.  A few hours went by when I saw my glow stick doing the electric boogie!  No drag peeling, but just the glow stick dancing back and forth over and over again!

My shoulder is killing me, so I took my time.  I was pretty sure I was going to lose it, but the big swells and surge subsided when i got it to shore!  This never happens, so i did what i could to beach it.  I took a picture right away in case it slipped my grip so I had my picture!

I started dragging it back to the gear and it twisted like a MoFo!  It bit itself and even bit my waders, but I think i might have escaped total damage.  It kicked my ass just trying to deal with the rod and shark with the bum shoulder.

It was 78 inches, female, incoming tide.  I think it was bigger than 78, but I was totally not prepared and way out of shape to deal with it and the big surf.  Bonito made it stick though!!!!

f@ck!  It feels so good to get this little girl!  I was starting to think the sharks were all going away!!!!
Thanks for reading!
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

sasquatch

Thanks for the play by play updates. It really did cheer me up.

Congrats on a streak starter.

vdisney

Oh yeah...............3 legit bites and one on the sand.  Hopefully things will start to pick up for us, we're gonna give it a go Sunday evening.  Stoked for you Tom
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect

BenCantrell

1morecast

What?! I thought those fish where all but extinct.  ;D Congrats!
2016 Summer Shark Fishing Champion :)
Twenty Three (23)

xjchad

Congrats Tom!  You were due!!

sasquatch

Quote from: vdisney on January 24, 2020, 02:38:42 AM
Oh yeah...............3 legit bites and one on the sand.  Hopefully things will start to pick up for us, we're gonna give it a go Sunday evening.  Stoked for you Tom

What time you set up, Verne? I'll be driving south from pismo Sunday.

vdisney

Quote from: sasquatch on January 25, 2020, 03:01:06 PM
Quote from: vdisney on January 24, 2020, 02:38:42 AM

What time you set up, Verne? I'll be driving south from pismo Sunday.

Sent you a PM
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect

jrodda

Great to see you get one! It's hard enough as it is releasing 7s, I can't imagine how it would be with that heavy of surf and a bad shoulder.

Tim524

Still waiting for a TV documentary about this sport, you and Squatch make a great team !

Pinoyfisher

Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)