News:

Prehistoric Soul - 2024

We are pleased to announce that the forum has been successfully updated to the latest version. While the process has been gradual and some posts were unfortunately lost, the forum is now operating on a stable platform. Over the coming weeks, we will continue to make periodic updates, including adjustments to colors, advertisements, and other features. In the meantime, we encourage you to catch up on old posts or contribute new ones. Thank you for your patience and continued support.

Main Menu

Change of Scenery (6/26)

Started by Latimeria, June 27, 2020, 09:35:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Latimeria

Working weekends is the norm now, so I get out when I can see an opportunity in the weather.  I was thinking of checking out the 9-mile, but heard there was the WON tuna tournament, so didn't want to be outside with a mess of guys tourney fishing.
Plan B was to hit LJ and catch some mack and slow troll.  Unlike last week, the macks were hard to find and come bye.  I managed 5 and slow trolled around, but there were a butt-load of boats and yakkers all over which made it pretty tough to get a consistent trolling line happening.  I needed peace and quiet so ran up to some patch of water that I don't fish as often as I probably should.  Great seeing the scenery from the other side.

I was up and tight to the beach in 12 feet of water slow trolling macks.  The mackerel were everywhere here and almost a pain in the butt!  LOL

I tried different depths and had dolphins literally following me the entire time.

I found a little structure a little deeper and trolled around it.  My bottom bouncing rig was good for catching big mackerel.  I can't believe they got that big ass hook in their mouths!  At least my livewell was filled!

My dropper mack gets slammed near the structure and I missed it, but pulled up this mess!

I lost 4 mackerel before finally getting a lingcod to the surface.  As I was uncorking the gaff, he came off and swam back down, but he wasn't the only one here.  I'm not sure if they migrate this way, but there were a bunch and they weren't right on the structure.  I picked up 4 more and got to use my newly wrapped virgin gaff to lip hook 3 and actually gaff one!  Four of them were 23-24.5" and I got one bigger unit at 33.75"!    Not bad at all!  I kept my first two and released the rest.

I made the run back before the wuind started in and tried drifting for halibut since I had a bunch of live macks left.  Only got a few bass hit and not much else to speak of and called it the day.  Lot's of stuff to get to at home and it felt good to make a few kills that were actually bigger than a boot. lol

I got some shark bait now!

I also learned a ton from my halibut guru commercial buddy who really enlightened me on bounce balling techniques.  I am literally stunned and need to readjust my method now as he catches more big halibut then anyone I know.
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

sasquatch

Nice lings.

More jealous of the macs.

And the intel.

skrilla

Latimeria

The smaller gaff was perfect!  Now I just need a reason to pull out the big gaff and test that one out.
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

BenCantrell

That's cool that you were able to hone in on the lingcod like that. One of my buddies and I were just talking yesterday about heading up in that direction next time to avoid the armada of other kayakers.

vdisney

Two nice lings and shark bait too boot, it's a win win Tom   8)
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect