News:

Prehistoric Soul - 2024

We are pleased to announce that the forum has been successfully updated to the latest version. While the process has been gradual and some posts were unfortunately lost, the forum is now operating on a stable platform. Over the coming weeks, we will continue to make periodic updates, including adjustments to colors, advertisements, and other features. In the meantime, we encourage you to catch up on old posts or contribute new ones. Thank you for your patience and continued support.

Main Menu

Hey Jim! Knife restoration ?'s

Started by xjchad, February 22, 2021, 10:48:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

xjchad

I have a few of my Grandfather's old knives I'd like to restore.
A couple folders and a couple fixed blades with leather disc handles.
Any tips or resources?
Thanks!

spideyjg

Put up some pics. Trouble with old potentiality collectible stuff is any alteration destroys the value. Dumb as a bag of hammers but see it in instruments, guns, knives and probably though all collectibles.

Take the rust, aka steel cancer, off a knife, value plummets, sharpen it value plummets. Take a guitar that cant stay in tune because the tuner is bad NOOOOOOOOOO it ruins the value.

Here are leather handle spacers from Jantz

https://knifemaking.com/products/kt200-leather-handle-spacers?_pos=1&_sid=43ddffcd2&_ss=r

xjchad

Thanks Jim!
I ended up just going over it with some wet sandpaper and oil and cleaned it up as best I could.
Still need to put an edge on it, but I'm happy with how it turned out.

Before:

After:

spideyjg

Sweet! Now keep that steel cancer from getting a grip again. Lots of pits up near the tip. Leather sheaths really aren't a good storage location. Take it out for storage, use it for carrying.