News:

Prehistoric Soul - 2024

We are pleased to announce that the forum has been successfully updated to the latest version. While the process has been gradual and some posts were unfortunately lost, the forum is now operating on a stable platform. Over the coming weeks, we will continue to make periodic updates, including adjustments to colors, advertisements, and other features. In the meantime, we encourage you to catch up on old posts or contribute new ones. Thank you for your patience and continued support.

Main Menu

Knots for various situations?

Started by Pagzzz, March 06, 2015, 02:09:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pagzzz

What are everyones favorite knots for typical long rod fishing in bays/surf?

Hook/swivel?
line-to-line?
20lb vs. 40lb vs. 80lb?

Hoping to expand my knot horizons from the San Diego Jam, improved clinch and palomar, especially for heavier line classes

sasquatch

Hook and swivel, uni knot.

Line to line, for my big gear, hollow spectra splices, for smaller gear braid to mono, bob sands.

4-40# five turn uni. 80-100# three turn uni.

Works for me.

raychavez91

-For light line hook and swivels I like palomars
-For 80-200# mono, usually I crimp tho,  but I'll tie 3-5 turn uni knots on occasion
-if I'm connecting lighter lines together I'll do uni to uni
-long rodding 40 mono connected to 80 or 130 mono shockleader I use a blob knot
--Long rodding with braid I use an fg to connect my shock leader to my braid mainline( shock leader 80-200 mono) mainline is 50-80# braid

sasquatch

Lots of people like the palomar. I hate it. Pain in the ass to tie and I'm never sure how it should end up. Oh well I'll stick with the uni.

Chris

palomar up to 150lb, 5 turn uni from 200-400lb.  alberto knot for braid to mono and Albright for mono to heavy shock leader.
Keep it tight

BackBayMan

Improved Clinch for mono/fluro up to 60lbs. Double Improved Clinch for Braid. Crimps for everything above 60lbs on leaders. I hate futzing with top shots and shock leaders so I fish straight 65lb to 80lb braid.
Anybody have an emergency beer?

Latimeria

Quote from: BackBayMan on March 07, 2015, 06:04:47 AM
Double Improved Clinch for Braid

I am not a fan of the Palomar knot either... not at all, but with braid, the double improved clinch is money!  I actually works well with mono also when you need that knot to have a little more shock absorption.  The triple tags are not ideal or pretty, but it does a tremendous job and has never failed me.  Easy as hell to tie also.
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

Pinoyfisher

SD Jam for mono to terminal gear. Albright or uni to uni for splicing. Which knot depends on mood.
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

Jaws

Quote from: Latimeria on March 07, 2015, 07:17:03 AM
Quote from: BackBayMan on March 07, 2015, 06:04:47 AM
Double Improved Clinch for Braid

I am not a fan of the Palomar knot either... not at all, but with braid, the double improved clinch is money!  I actually works well with mono also when you need that knot to have a little more shock absorption.  The triple tags are not ideal or pretty, but it does a tremendous job and has never failed me.  Easy as hell to tie also.

Big fan of this knot as well, like Tom says easy to tie. The only one I use for my heavy braid.
It's all Tom and Don's fault! They "hooked" me on mud marlins and sharks!

SNBF VI  Winner