News:

Prehistoric Soul - 2024

We are pleased to announce that the forum has been successfully updated to the latest version. While the process has been gradual and some posts were unfortunately lost, the forum is now operating on a stable platform. Over the coming weeks, we will continue to make periodic updates, including adjustments to colors, advertisements, and other features. In the meantime, we encourage you to catch up on old posts or contribute new ones. Thank you for your patience and continued support.

Main Menu

Looking for Threshers

Started by jrodda, May 31, 2021, 07:55:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jrodda

Chris got me hyped up on threshers, especially since he did it from a similar boat to mine. So I launched out of MDR this morning about 0900 and headed south down the coast looking for signs of bait. Took me til Hermosa Pier before I finally spotted life. Saw some dolphins thrashing about and pelicans following along. Then once I got closer the dolphins chilled out and acted like they were just kiddin' around.

Set out a dead mack anyways, rigged on a 7/0 circle and 3oz egg sinker on a wire leader. Slow trolled in a zig zag looking for something on the surface or marks. Reeled up and ran a few hundred feet and scared up a bait ball so I slow trolled for a good while longer while trying to put the sabiki into the bait ball.

Other than when I intercepted the bait a couple times, the only marks I saw all day were these, I like to think they were cuda but who knows.

Started to feel stupid here so I moved south. No signs of life around Redondo Canyon. Pretty much got a view of the water to PV and wasn't seeing any birds so I kicked it back to the Hermosa area, but the wind was picking up and I couldn't find my bait ball again. Decided to throw on a Rapala Magnum and troll a couple miles back before packing it in.

Got to the ramp about 1300. I take the outboard off at the dock and put it in my trunk before taking the boat out of the water to make things lighter and easier. Good thing I do, cuz I almost got common-deered.

Skunked because I refused to have a Plan B today. Gonna try this until I get it right.

sasquatch

Refusing plan B is the path to glory. Sometimes it's a long path. Go for it.

Chris

You'll get em. It took me 4 hours to get a bite my first try, then nothing the second and finally found them the 3rd. By the 5th trip I was able to get two to the boat. They play a little different in each area but you're in awfully deep water. You have to remember the pier guys slay them.
Keep it tight

vdisney

Quote from: Chris on June 01, 2021, 12:21:12 AMThey play a little different in each area but you're in awfully deep water. You have to remember the pier guys slay them.

I'm no expert, but that's what I was thinking.  I've seen them caught when we were fishing for mackerel off the pier.
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect

Latimeria

Quote from: sasquatch on May 31, 2021, 09:10:25 PM
Refusing plan B is the path to glory. Sometimes it's a long path. Go for it.

Exactly!

Last pic is hilarious!  Bigger Threshers mixed with makos used to be at the Carlsbad Canyon for years.  I've hooked many in the 70-90 foot depth at the kelp bed edge slow trolling for yellows, but got most of my bites less than that. 

I have no doubt you'll be posting up some thresher pics soon!
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

jrodda

I was looking around in that shallower zone 100-200 yards off the beach but it was quiet over there. 70ft was just the one spot I found any life at all. Trolled the magnum through miles of the 30' column.

Im thinking I'll try again Saturday in a different area.

BenCantrell

Quote from: jrodda on June 01, 2021, 10:08:31 AM
Trolled the magnum through miles of the 30' column.

I feel you bro.

xjchad

Keep it up dude, you'll get 'em!