News:

Prehistoric Soul - 2024

We are pleased to announce that the forum has been successfully updated to the latest version. While the process has been gradual and some posts were unfortunately lost, the forum is now operating on a stable platform. Over the coming weeks, we will continue to make periodic updates, including adjustments to colors, advertisements, and other features. In the meantime, we encourage you to catch up on old posts or contribute new ones. Thank you for your patience and continued support.

Main Menu

Local Surf Hammerheads

Started by Latimeria, June 15, 2021, 05:43:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Latimeria

So, for years I've heard of bounce ballers seeing big Hammerheads in the surf just outside the breakers but only have seen a possible glimpse or two.  A few weeks ago, Spencer sent me a picture of a local Hammerhead he caught off the beach here in San Diego County.... 

Hopefully this inspires some more surf shark fishing here soon as the shark list is painfully small!
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

jrodda

I've been wanting to kayak baits for a while, need a team for it though.

BenCantrell

He's wanted that one for a long while! Huge congrats!

SevengillTheVC

Lets try it Jeremy! I headed out last night to the spot, and as per my last 5 trips I got one decent bat ray and that was the only fish of the day. Not too unhappy about it but I haven't caught a target species in over two years lol! I'd like to try yakkin out some baits, unfortunately for us up here I don't think the hammers usually make it up this far in the numbers they are in SD and OC.

jrodda

Quote from: SevengillTheVC on June 16, 2021, 11:07:24 AM
Lets try it Jeremy! I headed out last night to the spot, and as per my last 5 trips I got one decent bat ray and that was the only fish of the day. Not too unhappy about it but I haven't caught a target species in over two years lol! I'd like to try yakkin out some baits, unfortunately for us up here I don't think the hammers usually make it up this far in the numbers they are in SD and OC.

Let's PM, I think we've got a lot of potential up here.

I know the hammers don't come up here often, but I've heard two instances of them. One was a good size one outside the kelp at deer creek, I think it was an El NiƱo year. Other one was a video of a guy kayak fishing in Santa Barbara and a 6' would not stop bumping his kayak so he headed in and it followed him all the way back to the beach, it's on YouTube. I should just find the link...

https://youtu.be/JUld0tszSG8

SevengillTheVC

Oh dang I thought that video was Malibu for some reason. I know guys get them pretty regularly at the islands so we may have a shot. Or maybe near the Submarine canyon at Port Hueneme and we could mimic Spencer's sixgill success, never know.