News:

Prehistoric Soul - 2024

We are pleased to announce that the forum has been successfully updated to the latest version. While the process has been gradual and some posts were unfortunately lost, the forum is now operating on a stable platform. Over the coming weeks, we will continue to make periodic updates, including adjustments to colors, advertisements, and other features. In the meantime, we encourage you to catch up on old posts or contribute new ones. Thank you for your patience and continued support.

Main Menu

Quick Morning Bay Session (7/3)

Started by Latimeria, July 05, 2021, 05:41:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Latimeria

It was Go Bigger or nothing.  Basically using a 1/2 oz weedless head with a 4" swimbait (instead of the 3/8 oz and 3").  I also had 12# line instead of my normal 8# just in case as I was hoping to get something bigger than I usually do.

The Bay was PACKED!  Not in the water, but every inch of shoreline was taken and things were about to get ugly.  I made some casts, but quickly started getting bites in the weediest of areas!  My only thing was I didn't cut down the weed guard, so the guard would also not allow a good hookset.  Also, I should have been using braid because on the hooksets, there was too much stretch in my line that I could feel.  Oh well, but I had well over 3 dozen fish on, or swung on, if not more. 
I had a few beauties that I somehow lost right at the rock edge before lifting them up the jetty.  Biggest were 14" models, but the good thing was this was the smallest one I caught.  I only was batting about 30% for the morning.

Most of the time, my baits were getting slammed and coming back like this....  I probably saw this around 2 dozen times in a few hours.

I finally had a good hit and thought I had a nice corvina... then I saw a 24" halibut swimming right at me with the hook just at the edge of the mouth.  I thought I could use it's momentum to bounce it up on the rocks, but it shook as it came out of the water, hit the mid-line rocks and literally bounced off 4 or 5 rocks before splashing back in the water.  Soo, bummed, but as I moved down a little to make some fresh casts, I stumbled on a bum taking a crap behind a bush and totally ruined the rest of my morning.

I just called it quits after 3 hours of fishing and was on the road by 8:30 as the bay started to come alive.

I hope everyone had a great 4th of july!
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

jrodda

Nice session! Farmed one butt, saw another!

Tim524

Early session, nice way to start the day 8)

vdisney

Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect