News:

Prehistoric Soul - 2024

We are pleased to announce that the forum has been successfully updated to the latest version. While the process has been gradual and some posts were unfortunately lost, the forum is now operating on a stable platform. Over the coming weeks, we will continue to make periodic updates, including adjustments to colors, advertisements, and other features. In the meantime, we encourage you to catch up on old posts or contribute new ones. Thank you for your patience and continued support.

Main Menu

Playing Repair Man

Started by jrodda, August 11, 2021, 01:40:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jrodda

Replaced the impeller, outboard sounds better than it did at Dana Pt. In neutral at least...after taking off the lower drive for the impeller replacement, I can't get the engine to go into gear. No prop movement in Forward or Reverse. I thought the shift rod positioning was the problem but if that were the case then I would be able to get prop movement in at least one direction I'd think. So I took off the lower unit again, spun the drive shaft and there isn't much any resistance from the prop no matter what gear I'm in. Double checked the key is still under the impeller. I highly doubt the splines/gear teeth are damaged. Hm

Not the problem I started with, so I wanna believe it's a stupid quick fix. But I'm pretty close to asking for professional help.

Just a rant full of new words I learned this week....my next post will be in Portuguese, so more people will understand what I'm saying.

Latimeria

I couldn't tell you how much I understand how you feel.  I've been plagued with similar issues the past decade on multiple boat motors.

I hope it's a quick easy fix.  I'm trying to think what it could be...
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

Fish Jerk

Quick google search yielded that you're most likely not getting the shift rod aligned correctly when remounting the lower unit. Might need to do some google searches for your particular motor to get tips on remounting it. Some mention having the motor in forward to help align the rod into the correct spot. I'm not a mechanic so take this as you will.

jrodda

Quote from: Fish Jerk on August 11, 2021, 08:53:17 PM
Quick google search yielded that you're most likely not getting the shift rod aligned correctly when remounting the lower unit. Might need to do some google searches for your particular motor to get tips on remounting it. Some mention having the motor in forward to help align the rod into the correct spot. I'm not a mechanic so take this as you will.

Yeah the Googles have me believing for my 6hp Mercury that it comes off the outboard while in reverse gear, and then you put it back on with the same orientation. But thing is, people know they made that mistake when they try to start the outboard in neutral and the prop spins on them while they're pulling the fly wheel. My issue is the prop isn't spinning no matter what I do. I'm gonna give it some more effort tomorrow and if I can't get it then I'll call my mechanic. Maybe if I'm lucky he'll give me a hint over the phone what I'm doing wrong.