News:

Prehistoric Soul - 2024

We are pleased to announce that the forum has been successfully updated to the latest version. While the process has been gradual and some posts were unfortunately lost, the forum is now operating on a stable platform. Over the coming weeks, we will continue to make periodic updates, including adjustments to colors, advertisements, and other features. In the meantime, we encourage you to catch up on old posts or contribute new ones. Thank you for your patience and continued support.

Main Menu

Batteries

Started by Chris, February 13, 2022, 03:23:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris

I've been looking at batteries for my little boat and since the motor has an electric start I was going to get a proper one and also run some electronics off it.

I've decided I do not want a lead acid battery and going with LifePo or lithium ion. Although more expensive they're 1/3 the weight in most cases and have longer life. I really want to get my hands on one before I buy it but can't find them anywhere. West marine, bass pro (they had one Lithium ion battery), batteries bulbs +, wall mart, all don't have them. So it looks like I might just have to order it from Amazon.

Any recommendations?

Right now I'm looking at this 12.8v 100ah lifePo4 on Amazon

https://www.amazon.com/LiFePO4-Battery-Lithium-Phosphate-Lifespan/dp/B09BQSJPTB/ref=mp_s_a_1_2_sspa?crid=TUVMX7G8PDY7&keywords=lifepo4%2Bbattery&qid=1643936517&sprefix=lifepo%2Caps%2C188&sr=8-2-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEzSU4xRDNLSlFRQVFTJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwMjM4NjM2MUhCN0dKMk1CVU5VViZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwMzc4NjI5MVMzN1NDUFFPTVI1NyZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX3Bob25lX3NlYXJjaF9hdGYmYWN0aW9uPWNsaWNrUmVkaXJlY3QmZG9Ob3RMb2dDbGljaz10cnVl&th=1
Keep it tight

Latimeria

I wish I could recommend one, but that 100ah one for the price seems pretty darn good. 
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

Tim524

I will have the same issue when my boat arrives, at this point you almost have to just bite the bullet and get the best one as it will be cheaper in the long run  :)

Chris

After talking with some people who are a little more knowledgeable than me on batteries and looking into prices of chargers and then finally realizing I don't need a 100AH battery to power anything on my boat unless I'll be at sea for 10 days..... I went with a Dakota 12v 18AH battery, it's 6.4lbs and barely 6"x4"x4". I'll make a box for it out of a harbor freight pelican knock off and run my Fish finder and rear marker light off it and use an AGM battery I already have for my bait tank.

I also pulled the electric start cable off my motor. It was just in the way.

Here's a link. I also got a charger from them so I can charge both batteries at the same time.
https://dakotalithium.com/product/dakota-lithium-12v-12ah-18-amp-hour-lifepo4-iron-phosphate-battery/
Keep it tight