News:

Prehistoric Soul - 2024

We are pleased to announce that the forum has been successfully updated to the latest version. While the process has been gradual and some posts were unfortunately lost, the forum is now operating on a stable platform. Over the coming weeks, we will continue to make periodic updates, including adjustments to colors, advertisements, and other features. In the meantime, we encourage you to catch up on old posts or contribute new ones. Thank you for your patience and continued support.

Main Menu

Slapping the MB Spotties (3/3)

Started by Latimeria, March 04, 2022, 03:58:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Latimeria

I saw the tide was coming in pretty good and it was the day prior to the storm, so seemed to be a perfect time to get out and fish some rocks.  Timing was thankfully textbook!
I caught 6 spotties on the 3.5" swimbait in fairly short order.  Maybe 1 fish per 8 casts.

I switched to the underspin to see f I could call up an exotic like a corvina or halibut, but after 30 casts, I didn't have a single hit.  At this point I already had 6 fish under my belt, so I switched out the underspin with a 1/2 weedless head and a 4" MC swimbait... Wow!  I literally cast right where I was casting the underspin and got one right away.

I was at the right place at the right time because I was getting a fish every two casts!  I barely moved 10 feet and caught 17!!!

They were inhaling it!

There were a couple of nicer grade bass in the mix also.

All I had to do was move 10 feet down and it was like a totally new fresh spot!

The Procure "Cheater Sauce" was making them inhale it.

Eel grass was they key.  I tried using a jig with no weed guard because I lost a few fish and decided it was the weed guard knocking them off, but just always got weeded, so went back to the 1/2 oz weed guard jig head.

The next hit and I think I get snagged, but realized it was a butt!  Looked like a 24" model, but it was in all the floating dead eel grass at the rocks edge and I tried to flip it up, but soon as i put my hand in the water, the line just snapped and I watched it swim away with my last 4" MC Light Bluegill.  I tried to pick another color and had one 1/2 oz lead head left, so went with the Light Grunion.  Next cast and it worked!

I'm at 27 bass and Dave calls me again, so I took a break and filled him in with the hot fishing.  As I was talking to him, I was still fishing and trying to get my last 3!  I literally missed 3 while talking to him, so had to go as I had the number 30 in my head and wanted to reach my lofty goal!

The next 35 minutes were long and painful as I got two more around 9" and finally got #30!  Jeez, that seemed to take forever after having such wide open fishing just an hour before!

Well, I lost the entire story while typing it somehow so I had to type it up again.  Sorry if there are any redundancies or just confusing phrases as It ticked me off that everything disappeared for no reason and I had to think it all over again.  lol

Well, thanks for reading!  Making the most out of my time off!

You can't catch them from your computer chair.

jrodda

That gets my juices flowing. Great session.

vdisney

Totally awesome session Tom.  The last time I had a 30 fish day was using a sibiki for mackerel   ;D
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect

Tim524

The calm before the storm was pretty active, nice outing 8)

Mr Bones

Great report! I love the way spotties are so grumpy for a species that pretty much has never had to swim in current. Is it just me but when I get bass thumb from lipping spotties my thumb gets extra inflamed!  :-[ Either it's just me or spotties have something in their mouths that is not human friendly.
One Day at a Time

Latimeria

Quote from: Mr Bones on March 07, 2022, 09:41:48 AM
Great report! I love the way spotties are so grumpy for a species that pretty much has never had to swim in current. Is it just me but when I get bass thumb from lipping spotties my thumb gets extra inflamed!  :-[ Either it's just me or spotties have something in their mouths that is not human friendly.

I think it's because they grab shrimp, crabs and clams from the bay mud. There's lots of nasty stuff in there and probably gets it's mouth a little toxic. It probably is what makes bass thumb a little worse than the other bass.

jrodda

Quote from: Latimeria on March 07, 2022, 09:52:50 AM

I think it's because they grab shrimp, crabs and clams from the bay mud. There's lots of nasty stuff in there and probably gets it's mouth a little toxic. It probably is what makes bass thumb a little worse than the other bass.

Interesting theory.

Latimeria

Quote from: jrodda on March 07, 2022, 08:17:41 PM

Interesting theory.

I've noticed it before and thought of possible reasons, but could only come up with this as a more viable one.  I also used to think it was always in my head which could also be the case.  lol

jrodda

Quote from: Latimeria on March 08, 2022, 06:54:02 AM
Quote from: jrodda on March 07, 2022, 08:17:41 PM

Interesting theory.

I've noticed it before and thought of possible reasons, but could only come up with this as a more viable one.  I also used to think it was always in my head which could also be the case.  lol

I've never been in a hot calico bite in a bay so I can't speak from experience, but maybe at the very least it's just getting bass thumb with SoCal harbor water that makes for more inflamation.