News:

Prehistoric Soul - 2024

We are pleased to announce that the forum has been successfully updated to the latest version. While the process has been gradual and some posts were unfortunately lost, the forum is now operating on a stable platform. Over the coming weeks, we will continue to make periodic updates, including adjustments to colors, advertisements, and other features. In the meantime, we encourage you to catch up on old posts or contribute new ones. Thank you for your patience and continued support.

Main Menu

Last NJ Ride for Flatties (4/16)

Started by Latimeria, April 16, 2022, 08:52:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Latimeria

My goal was to get my NJ buddy a double digit flatty, but the wind and the conditions have been terrible on the weekends.  Today they called for 3-6 foot swell at 7 seconds and 3 foot wind waves as well as 15-20 knot winds in the morning, growing to 20+ in the afternoon.  The ocean was out of the question, so it was one last chance to hit the bay for some nice butts!

Gloomy, cold, windy, weedy, white caps.... we had it all in the morning.

I went to the 1/2oz head with 4" MC since the wind was terrible on the casts.  We had a damn good bite on the bass first thing.

Eric was farming the hell out of them and I checked his drag... What the hell!?!?!  He's using 20# braid and only had about 3# of drag on, so never got the hook sunk into the mouths properly.  He made some adjustments and the numbers started to creep up.

I didn't pull out the clicker, but was trying to keep a mental note on numbers.

The wind died down to about 12 knots, so we made the run up to the bridge and look around.  Apparently everyone had the same idea as even big sportfishers were back there drifting for flatties.

The fishing was much slower here, but I did get some butts...albeit pretty small with the biggest one only about 17".

We put about a dozen more bass on the board before moving to another spot I had on my radar.

Next spot and I lost probably my chance at a legal hali.  I thought I was snagged, and then I felt it slide off the bottom and start making some big head shakes.  Half way up and ... hook pulled.  Oh well...

We made another move and had a great bite on the bass again!

We made a few more quick moves as we needed to be on the trailer and on our way home by noon since he had some things to do, so we worked my usual go to spots.

After a few more bass which I guess we were over 80 for the morning, I got another few halibut.  One was a little 12" guy and the other was another 16" or so model.

That was it and we called it the day.  Not a bad morning, but I would have loved to still be trying for that big one.  I let eric bail when we got back since he had to run, so I spent the next 3 hours scrubbing the boat and making sure the motor and gear was properly cleaned.  The boat is 12 years old, so I need to make sure I keep it in good shape.

Well, thanks for reading and until next tide!

You can't catch them from your computer chair.

vdisney

Off the subject, what did the problem turn out to be with the motor last week?
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect

Tim524

You guys are going at it 8) Too bad the weather wasn't better but you managed to find the bass 8) 8) What's up with the motor, did you find the problem ?

Latimeria

There's clicking and rough running. Can't find what it is but it happens only at certain times.
You can't catch them from your computer chair.