News:

Prehistoric Soul - 2024

We are pleased to announce that the forum has been successfully updated to the latest version. While the process has been gradual and some posts were unfortunately lost, the forum is now operating on a stable platform. Over the coming weeks, we will continue to make periodic updates, including adjustments to colors, advertisements, and other features. In the meantime, we encourage you to catch up on old posts or contribute new ones. Thank you for your patience and continued support.

Main Menu

MB Bay Ray hookup on a Bass Rod

Started by Pagzzz, March 20, 2015, 08:49:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pagzzz

(sorry for the cross-post from SCSF and SDFish sites, but I had to share this)

Headed out this evening to Mission Bay for a quick session on the backside of Fiesta island. Caught a super-small spottie about half an hour in while cruising the shoreline. I was fishing with a 5" Kalin lunker grub on a t-rig on a 12-20lb 7' bass rod and Revo S baitcaster. Certainly fine for most of the fishy critters in the area.  30lb braid to 12lb flouro leader.

Then hooked into a very unexpected adventure! As soon as I hooked up after a long cast, line started peeling off the reel. I tightened the drag all the way, to absolutely no effect. Then the damn thing JUMPED OUT OF THE WATER about 60 yards off the beach. I couldn't tell at the time if it was a shark or ray, but it soon became evident it was a large bat ray from the turbulent wakes on the surface as it cruised up and down the beach. I followed it for about 50 yards in one direction, then 100 yards in the other direction towards a floating dock in the Hidden Anchorage part of Fiesta Island, all while about 20 yards from the shoreline. I could almost see it! The video below is of the ray taking line while on a run. My setup was maxed out, but I'm not even sure the ray knew it was hooked! A group of kayakers followed along curious about the fight, but didn't move when I advised them it could take a run in their direction. SMH

Eventually, it lodged itself in the mud and wouldn't move and I couldn't pull with enough drag (even a little thumb on the spool) to make a difference. Eventually about 15 minutes into the fight, the line broke at the hook.

That would have been an epic tale to land a big bat on 12lb bass gear, but would have been pretty unlikely. EPIC! I would not have expected a Bat ray to pounce on a grub

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6hUfk6LqEY

Latimeria

I've run down that road before, but you need everything to go right in order to beach a beast on little gear. Killer experience And thanks for sharing.   8)
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

vdisney

Would have been awesome to sit on the side lines and watch  8)
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect