News:

Prehistoric Soul - 2024

We are pleased to announce that the forum has been successfully updated to the latest version. While the process has been gradual and some posts were unfortunately lost, the forum is now operating on a stable platform. Over the coming weeks, we will continue to make periodic updates, including adjustments to colors, advertisements, and other features. In the meantime, we encourage you to catch up on old posts or contribute new ones. Thank you for your patience and continued support.

Main Menu

Roddy

Started by Tim524, September 28, 2022, 05:01:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tim524

I just happened to be in Big 5 today and saw this rod....... A Roddy BR80. The Roddy name has been around for a long time and I have seen the rods but never owned one, so I picked it up and gave it a look :) I know you Tackle Snobs are loyal to a specific brand but I have a mixed assortment, so poke away but be gentle ;D Anyway, $60 and a $5 off coupon seemed like a good deal for an extra boat rod or spare for backup so I snagged it. Time to find a reel but there is no rush. Let me know if you have experience with these rods, I know an Ugly Stik is about the same price but thought I would switch it up a bit since I already have a few.

Time for another Rod holder, this one is full  :-[

OK, tear me up ;D ;D

KogaHead

They tend to be softer but are indestructible.
2024 Prehistoric Soul Football Champion
(Tom & Jeremy Suck!)

skrilla

Big 5 buys out brands and they are a "in name only" sorta thing nowadays. Production is usually outsourced and lower quality components are used. I repair a lot of the big box store tackle section stuff. Usually the guides turn green and corrode at a faster pace, foam handles disintegrate or tear, reel seats spin loose. But they put fish on deck before doing so.

I have stripped and rebuilt many Uglystiks, Sabre Strokers, Okuma, Daiwa... many brands of "budget rods" with better quality components and they seem to do fine afterwards. Every now and then a customer returns needing a guide repair ( most of these types are neanderthals and will break guides now matter what ) and the upgraded parts I installed seem to have held up better. But for the price of the strip and rebuild could of wrapped them a better rod in the first place.  ;)

Tim524

Thanks for the input, I try to take care of my gear so hopefully it will last a while, 60 bucks wont hurt too bad  :)

Latimeria

Quote from: skrilla on September 29, 2022, 10:43:22 AM
....most of these types are neanderthals and will break guides now matter what

hahahahaha, that sums up Kogahead to a T!
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

KogaHead

Your new name is MyBitchMerica based on how pick football winners!!!
2024 Prehistoric Soul Football Champion
(Tom & Jeremy Suck!)

Latimeria

Quote from: KogaHead on September 30, 2022, 09:28:08 AM
Your new name is MyBitchMerica based on how pick football winners!!!
I'll just wait until tomorrow so I can respond in the correct way.    ;D
You can't catch them from your computer chair.