News:

Prehistoric Soul - 2024

We are pleased to announce that the forum has been successfully updated to the latest version. While the process has been gradual and some posts were unfortunately lost, the forum is now operating on a stable platform. Over the coming weeks, we will continue to make periodic updates, including adjustments to colors, advertisements, and other features. In the meantime, we encourage you to catch up on old posts or contribute new ones. Thank you for your patience and continued support.

Main Menu

Thumper build

Started by xjchad, October 03, 2022, 03:06:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xjchad

Finally finished building my AR15 in .450 Bushmaster.  Just in time for elk season.  Just need to mount the optic and sight it in.

Tim524

AR's are cool, I built a couple myself and they are fun to shoot 8)

Latimeria

Nice build Chad!  Not what I usually see for an elk hunting gun, but it will do the job for sure.

Keep the reports coming and get out Pike fishing!  ;D
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

vdisney

Looks good Chad, always nice to see your name on the board.  If you go, good luck with elk.  I haven't hunted since I moved back to S. Cal, I miss it
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect

xjchad

Putting all the parts together is most of the fun for me.
The 450BM is not a "normal" hunting round, but since I already had a solid lower assembly, it's a great, low budget brush gun.
I'm not a great long range shooter yet, so the 200 yard range is fine for me.  The mountains and thick, dark timber forest I hunt makes for shorter distances mostly, so the knock down power of this round in that range is perfect for larger game.  I already have a Savage bolt gun in .243 for deer and smaller game.  I'd like to add a 30-06 or 300 win mag someday when I have the funds. 

xjchad

Got the optic mounted and heading out after work to sight it in.
Leaving friday for a long weekend looking for elk.

Latimeria

Quote from: xjchad on October 10, 2022, 08:04:54 AM
Got the optic mounted and heading out after work to sight it in.
Leaving friday for a long weekend looking for elk.

Good luck Chad!

xjchad

Thanks Tom!  Got the 450 and my .243 all sighted in last night.
This thing kicks like a mule!

xjchad

Well, no elk for me this year, but I did see some beautiful country!

Latimeria

Beautiful country for sure.  Is elk season over, or just the last time you can get out on the hunt?

xjchad

It's over, ended yesterday.  :-[

vdisney

Quote from: xjchad on October 25, 2022, 10:34:15 AM
Well, no elk for me this year, but I did see some beautiful country!

As you learn the terrain and the general habits of your prey, your odds will increase exponentially,  I took me a few years to learn the deer patterns in the Eastern Sierra, but with time my success rate increased ten fold.  Good luck my brother 
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect

xjchad