News:

Prehistoric Soul - 2024

We are pleased to announce that the forum has been successfully updated to the latest version. While the process has been gradual and some posts were unfortunately lost, the forum is now operating on a stable platform. Over the coming weeks, we will continue to make periodic updates, including adjustments to colors, advertisements, and other features. In the meantime, we encourage you to catch up on old posts or contribute new ones. Thank you for your patience and continued support.

Main Menu

Rusty Mc Rust Rust (10/29)

Started by Latimeria, October 30, 2022, 09:13:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Latimeria

It's been since June that I fished inshore.

Steve caught a bad bug, so I made the solo trip to try and get my therapy in.  Beautiful morning and it was nice not having to show up at any particular time, but I had to call it by noon no matter what.

Water was quite cold and the wind was already out first thing.  3' @7seconds wasn't bad, but with the winds, it was a little bit spoty.

I caught a mix of bass, rockfish, whitefish, and assorted oobly gooblies.  I was only keeping the ones that weren't going to make the return trip.

I had 2+ dozen fish through the morning but stopped at 9 in case I got a big one.

i was dropping the small iron and bucktail which caught most of the fish, but I dropped a big 4oz bucktail with a whole squid pinned on.  I should have tied it up to a bigger rod, but I stuck with the bass gear.

Of course, it got inhaled, and felt like a nice lingcod.  I got it off the reef by about 15 feet, when it went ripping down and found something to wrap on or hole to go in.  I tried opening the bail, but it kept bouncing and was not getting loose.  I tried for a bit with no luck and the line eventually snapped.  Losing a $12 bucktail was the hardest part of the whole thing.

I had a few nice fish on which really seemed to be sheepshead, but they dogged me also.  That's what I get for using the smaller gear to have a little more fun.  Oh well.

I felt a little tap and was sure I hooked it, but felt nothing.  I reeled in to what I thought was a kelpfish at first and realized that I had a painted greenling (Oxylebius pictus) instead!  Holy crap!  I didn't think these things got anywhere near Southern Cal!

Well, I never got the big one to get my limit, but it was a fun shot at them and fun actually staying inshore.  I actually ran to the deeper rockfish spots to look around, but only saw nothing... not even a pixel on the sonar.

As I was pulling the fish out of the water hold, I saw this nasty critter.

Nasty...

Anyway, my booty for the morning.  The title to the post had to do with all the fish I missed.  It's been a while since I bottom fished and used line for something other than pelagics.

Thanks for reading!
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

sasquatch

Wish I could have made it. I'm still coughing up half a lung.

jrodda

The painted greenling!!! I unhooked one on the sport boat today! Greenling was on my tongue but assumed kelpfish in the moment since that's a NorCal thing. So funny we both saw them this week. Good haul on the meat. Sounds like a nice fun day!

Tim524

That hitch hiker looks cool whatever it is. Nice variety, the bigger Whitefish actually fight pretty good and taste great too. Hope Steve gets to feeling better ;)

vdisney

Looks good to me, except the nasty looking critter crawling out of the gills   :o
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect

BenCantrell

Super cool on the painted greenling! I saw one once snorkeling in La Jolla, and it always bugged me that I couldn't catch one. There's a lot of photos of them perched on the wrecks outside Mission Bay (Ruby E, Yukon, etc).