News:

Prehistoric Soul - 2024

We are pleased to announce that the forum has been successfully updated to the latest version. While the process has been gradual and some posts were unfortunately lost, the forum is now operating on a stable platform. Over the coming weeks, we will continue to make periodic updates, including adjustments to colors, advertisements, and other features. In the meantime, we encourage you to catch up on old posts or contribute new ones. Thank you for your patience and continued support.

Main Menu

Rockfish Regs 2023

Started by Latimeria, January 26, 2023, 02:10:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Latimeria

I guess I haven't been keeping up with the local Rockfish regs, but 2023 has seriously cut back the season!

You can't catch them from your computer chair.

jrodda

Yup, gonna make things interesting. That closure on half the species after September 15 is pretty bizarre, didn't get a good look at that til now. Doesn't shut it down but pick your spots wisely.

BenCantrell

Obviously I don't have a dog in the fight since I don't live there, but hopefully this helps the size of the nearshore rockfish increase a bit? I always thought it would be better to spread out the fishing pressure by opening up to all depths. There's a lot of ocean out there.

Tough situation though when you incidentally catch rockfish with severe barotrauma and have to "release" them, even with a descending device.

KogaHead

Here in AZ we have ZERO restrictions on Rockfish.
2024 Prehistoric Soul Football Champion
(Tom & Jeremy Suck!)

jrodda

Quote from: KogaHead on January 27, 2023, 07:11:28 AM

Word is you do a lot of releasing brown rockfish into non-native waters...

skrilla

Latimeria

Quote from: skrilla on January 30, 2023, 04:37:50 PM
Glad you made it out from under the rock.  ;D

https://wildlife.ca.gov/News/new-recreational-groundfish-fishing-regulations-coming-in-the-new-year

Whitefish open all year. Squid up and fish!

That confuses me also.  How many rockfish are they trying to save when countless will still be seagull food while people are whitefishing?  lol, well, I'm on a Black Cod hunt this year when the season opens!  Time to also look for some deepwater flounder!

BTW, will I possibly have a bent butt rod if/when the BFT show up?   ;D

BenCantrell

Quote from: Latimeria on January 31, 2023, 06:15:24 AM
lol, well, I'm on a Black Cod hunt this year when the season opens!  Time to also look for some deepwater flounder!

Stop it, I can only get so horny!

KogaHead

Quote from: jrodda on January 27, 2023, 05:35:04 PM
Quote from: KogaHead on January 27, 2023, 07:11:28 AM

Word is you do a lot of releasing brown rockfish into non-native waters...

We flush them to CA.
(Tom & Jeremy Suck!)

KogaHead

https://wildlife.ca.gov/News/new-recreational-groundfish-fishing-regulations-coming-in-the-new-year

That confuses me also.  How many rockfish are they trying to save when countless will still be seagull food while people are whitefishing?  lol, well, I'm on a Black Cod hunt this year when the season opens!  Time to also look for some deepwater flounder!

Rumor is you already have a bent butt rod inserted in the rod holder.
(Tom & Jeremy Suck!)

Latimeria

Quote from: KogaHead on January 31, 2023, 07:51:49 AM

Rumor is you already have a bent butt rod inserted in the rod holder.

She's not complaining.....

skrilla

100%