News:

Prehistoric Soul - 2024

We are pleased to announce that the forum has been successfully updated to the latest version. While the process has been gradual and some posts were unfortunately lost, the forum is now operating on a stable platform. Over the coming weeks, we will continue to make periodic updates, including adjustments to colors, advertisements, and other features. In the meantime, we encourage you to catch up on old posts or contribute new ones. Thank you for your patience and continued support.

Main Menu

Unlimited Depth Targets

Started by Latimeria, January 31, 2023, 06:21:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Latimeria

Now that they will allow us to bottomfish at any depth without regard to rockfish (except the 3 nono's), what are you hoping to catch at great depths?  It could be anything weird also.

I'll start with just a couple off the top of my head:

Black Cod
Chimaera
Fangtooth
Maybe a new unknown subspecies of Latimeria?  ;D
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

skrilla

Sablefish
Anglerfish
Pesky broadbill

jrodda

I'd be stoked with any of those. I think any bite is gonna be a new species down there which is what really excites me. Now if only I could get a bite.

xjchad

Quote from: jrodda on February 01, 2023, 02:50:15 PM
I'd be stoked with any of those. I think any bite is gonna be a new species down there which is what really excites me. Now if only I could get a bite.

Jeremy, have you tried Power Bait?  ;D

jrodda

Quote from: xjchad on February 01, 2023, 04:05:08 PM

Doesn't stay on for the quarter mile drop :(

xjchad

Quote from: jrodda on February 01, 2023, 08:14:25 PM
Quote from: xjchad on February 01, 2023, 04:05:08 PM

Doesn't stay on for the quarter mile drop :(

LOL!

BenCantrell

Bait thread and fresh sardines are your friends!

Latimeria

Quote from: BenCantrell on February 03, 2023, 06:31:47 AM

Sardines over squid?  I rather be armed with info before I start dropping a 1/4 mile down.

BenCantrell

I skunked out at 1000 feet half a dozen times using squid and shrimp. Switched to sardines and caught sablefish both times right before I moved.

jrodda

Quote from: BenCantrell on February 06, 2023, 05:13:56 AM
I skunked out at 1000 feet half a dozen times using squid and shrimp. Switched to sardines and caught sablefish both times right before I moved.

Conclusive enough for me and my arms!

Chris

Quote from: Latimeria on February 03, 2023, 07:01:34 AM

Sardines over squid?  I rather be armed with info before I start dropping a 1/4 mile down.

The local research crews out of oside use sardines. Threaded onto a J hook and fished 300-1800ft down. They were doing really well with Opah on sardine. I had plans to experiment myself but life got in the way and then every time I had a window to fish the wind wasn't cooperating to make deep drops so I looked for other stuff.
Keep it tight

Latimeria

Quote from: Chris on February 20, 2023, 01:18:35 AM
Quote from: Latimeria on February 03, 2023, 07:01:34 AM

The local research crews out of oside use sardines. Threaded onto a J hook and fished 300-1800ft down. They were doing really well with Opah on sardine. I had plans to experiment myself but life got in the way and then every time I had a window to fish the wind wasn't cooperating to make deep drops so I looked for other stuff.

I'm 100% going to try that in April.

Chris

I'm having a slow pitch blank wrapped that's been sitting in my garage for the past 7 years and pairing it with a siegler small game lever drag filled with 30lb braid. I can't wait to see what I can jig up from 1,000+ ft
Keep it tight

BenCantrell

Quote from: Chris on February 22, 2023, 08:27:11 PM
I'm having a slow pitch blank wrapped that's been sitting in my garage for the past 7 years and pairing it with a siegler small game lever drag filled with 30lb braid. I can't wait to see what I can jig up from 1,000+ ft

I wish I had been using 30 lb in CA. Had 65 lb on my deep drop reel, switched to 30 lb when I moved to FL. It's so much better having less bow in your line.

Chris

Quote from: BenCantrell on February 24, 2023, 07:51:21 AM
Quote from: Chris on February 22, 2023, 08:27:11 PM

I wish I had been using 30 lb in CA. Had 65 lb on my deep drop reel, switched to 30 lb when I moved to FL. It's so much better having less bow in your line.

I was using 65 for swords with 4-6 lbs of weight and still had scope.
I might even go with 20.
Keep it tight