News:

Prehistoric Soul - 2024

We are pleased to announce that the forum has been successfully updated to the latest version. While the process has been gradual and some posts were unfortunately lost, the forum is now operating on a stable platform. Over the coming weeks, we will continue to make periodic updates, including adjustments to colors, advertisements, and other features. In the meantime, we encourage you to catch up on old posts or contribute new ones. Thank you for your patience and continued support.

Main Menu

To Re-Use or Not To Re-Use, That Is The Question?

Started by BackBayMan, March 23, 2015, 01:53:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BackBayMan

What do you do with your rigs? Do you re-use hooks and 3-Way rigs or always use new? Do you re-sharpen hooks? If you re-use, for how long?
Anybody have an emergency beer?

sasquatch

I will use rigs until the wire is too bent up. Hooks I will use until dull. I will use old rusty hooks from the back of my truck but I won't make a new rig with it.

Jaws

I build my shark rigs with a wire bite leader tied to a heavy mono "rub leader"then tie to my braid, if the wire isn't too beaten up I may re-use it but the hook gets re-sharpened and the rub leader is replaced. My bat ray rigs are "cannonball" rigs and I simply re-build them by sharpening the hook and replacing the mono.

But don't take that for gospel as the people who know me know I build my rigs in case either the tax man or a record ray happen to mistake my offerings for something that they should eat rather than the nutty examples of over build that they are...... ??? ::)
It's all Tom and Don's fault! They "hooked" me on mud marlins and sharks!

SNBF VI  Winner

Eric H

Definitely re use. Just take care of them and throw your rigs in a bucket of fresh water for a bit after each use. Sharpen your hooks and examine the rig and make sure it's still in good shape.

WheresMyBeer

Latimeria

I keep my swivels, cut off and discard all the leader and give my dull hooks to the Rasta Man so he could lose big fish.  :o
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

WheresMyBeer

Wait ... I though STICKS was the rubber hook guy ...  :P :P :P

vdisney

Quote from: Latimeria on March 24, 2015, 07:38:47 AM
I keep my swivels, cut off and discard all the leader and give my dull hooks to the Rasta Man so he could lose big fish.  :o

X2, I keep my swivels but discard the rest.  I figure hooks and wire are the "cheapest"  part of my addition  :o
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect

Pinoyfisher

Quote from: Latimeria on March 24, 2015, 07:38:47 AM

LOL!!!!!!!!!!
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

Pinoyfisher

I've been soaking my rusted hooks in WD40 to stop the rusting then I reuse. I guess the same as everyone else, use til you can't use no more.
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)