News:

Prehistoric Soul - 2024

We are pleased to announce that the forum has been successfully updated to the latest version. While the process has been gradual and some posts were unfortunately lost, the forum is now operating on a stable platform. Over the coming weeks, we will continue to make periodic updates, including adjustments to colors, advertisements, and other features. In the meantime, we encourage you to catch up on old posts or contribute new ones. Thank you for your patience and continued support.

Main Menu

Something Mendacious Is at Foot (3/13)

Started by Latimeria, March 14, 2023, 06:54:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Latimeria

Seeing more rain is on the way, I decided to try the lakes again since they just had their last plant of the season and the rains are coming back with a vengeance.

I get down to muddy water once again.  I haven't seen these lakes clear in a few months as all the runoff in the upper lakes drains all the sediment to the lower ones. 

I tied up 2 floating crawler rigs and forewent the power bait this time.  I had my trout dip, so hopefully that would let out the scent needed to finally get one. I even used two varying lengths of leader to see at what depth the trout were actually swimming at.  I KNOW there should be trout since they did back to back trout plants...

Like usual, it was quiet.  I stalked the shoreline to look for trout at the edge, but it was so muddy, I couldn't see 2" down.

As I was sitting in my car in a trance staring at my rods, I saw the indicator bobber drop and then shoot up and the line was singing!  That got my adrenaline up!

It was running all over and I felt this one was a bigger trout for sure... but it never came to the surface which made me pause in my enjoyment.  I had the drag tight as you could get on 2# test, and it still managed to take close to 10 minutes to get it in.  With the water so muddy, I had no idea (or my hope for it to be a trout was so great it overrode my "factual" part of my brain saying it was most likely a big cat.

Well, I finally got it to the net and it was a FAT cat!  I'm pretty sure there was a trout in that belly.

I wanted to get a measurement since it was a pretty big and even nice-looking kitty, but I was not in a mood to be surrounded by a gang of kids so I snapped a few shots and let her go.

Well, no trout once again but it was really fun reeling in a ~6# cat on 2# test.  I suspect they are telling everyone they are stocking trout when in reality they are just stocking cats, or at least that's my theory on why I keep catching cats when I'm trout fishing.  lol

Well, I'll get one of them sooner or later.  I might have to try again today after work.
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

KogaHead

2024 Prehistoric Soul Football Champion
(Tom & Jeremy Suck!)

jrodda

Tim524

That place sure does mess with you, makes for great reading ;D  It is just a matter of time till the ''Lake Record'' is in one of your reports ;)

vdisney

Can't imagine wrestling that one on 2# test   :o
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect