News:

Prehistoric Soul - 2024

We are pleased to announce that the forum has been successfully updated to the latest version. While the process has been gradual and some posts were unfortunately lost, the forum is now operating on a stable platform. Over the coming weeks, we will continue to make periodic updates, including adjustments to colors, advertisements, and other features. In the meantime, we encourage you to catch up on old posts or contribute new ones. Thank you for your patience and continued support.

Main Menu

Quick Conditions Check - Lower Madison

Started by mdcesq, March 19, 2023, 07:43:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mdcesq

With the roads dry and an extra hour of light in the evening, I took a quick drive down to the Lower Madison the other day.

Looks great and highly fishable (you should be able to play this as a video):

Madison031623

jrodda

Wow that's beautiful. What kind of fishery is the lower madison?

mdcesq

Quote from: jrodda on March 19, 2023, 03:50:33 PM
Wow that's beautiful. What kind of fishery is the lower madison?

It's a good fishery. Mostly brown and rainbow trout in this section. The Upper, coming out of the Park, has more cutthroat and other species, like arctic grayling, etc.

Latimeria

That looks gorgeous Mike!  The last time I was up in those parts I was fishing the Clark-Fork River and the trout fishing was insane! Pike Minnows, Pike, Rainbows, Cutthroat, and whitefish were the common one's we caught there. 
I hope you post some catches when you finally get out and start whipping around the fly rod on the shores this spring.  I could use some fresh mountain air fishing posts.  8)
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

Tim524

Beautiful territory, I would love to fish that area, you are lucky 8)

xjchad

mdcesq

Quote from: Latimeria on March 20, 2023, 06:11:21 AM
That looks gorgeous Mike! The last time I was up in those parts I was fishing the Clark-Fork River and the trout fishing was insane! Pike Minnows, Pike, Rainbows, Cutthroat, and whitefish were the common one's we caught there. 
I hope you post some catches when you finally get out and start whipping around the fly rod on the shores this spring. I could use some fresh mountain air fishing posts. 8)

Thanks, Tom! I have yet to fish the Clark Fork but have driven over it many times. I've fished Rock Creek, a Clark Fork tributary, and it was excellent!

I'm going to make an effort to fish more this year. My outings went way down after a back injury, but I think I have things under control enough to flick flies on a more consistent basis. Will post some reports!

Quote from: Tim524 on March 20, 2023, 06:38:47 AM
Beautiful territory, I would love to fish that area, you are lucky 8)

Thank you, Tim. I need to remind myself of that more often.

Quote from: xjchad on March 20, 2023, 09:31:31 AM
That's gorgeous Mike!   8)

It is! I suspect you'll be getting out on Priest River or  Pend Oreille soon?