News:

Prehistoric Soul - 2024

We are pleased to announce that the forum has been successfully updated to the latest version. While the process has been gradual and some posts were unfortunately lost, the forum is now operating on a stable platform. Over the coming weeks, we will continue to make periodic updates, including adjustments to colors, advertisements, and other features. In the meantime, we encourage you to catch up on old posts or contribute new ones. Thank you for your patience and continued support.

Main Menu

Giant Birds

Started by Tim524, May 13, 2023, 08:33:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tim524

I planted 2 of these Giant Bird of Paradise on each side of the rock about 24 years ago, they were only a foot tall back then :o There is a 4 thousand Pound rock in the middle of that jungle :)

The pole saw took a toll on my shoulders so I passed it to Myles, he did great. The birds are so tall we couldn't reach to trim some of them, so onto the deck for easy access ;)

It was tough and we made quite the mess but we got it cleaned up into piles after filling up the trash cans 8)

Looks a lot better after all the trimming 8)

Just might have to make a Dump Run cause we did some Queen Palms and more Giant Birds in the backyard as well, just in time for Mother's Day :D

jrodda

Love a good prune. Too many overgrown giant birds out there. Ya'll did them justice!

Latimeria

So where are all the critters supposed to live now that you just took away their frond homes???  ;D ;D ;D

Ha!  Nicely done guys.  Can you use Bird leaves to wrap a pig like banana leaves?
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

Tim524

Quote from: Latimeria on May 14, 2023, 03:30:40 PM
So where are all the critters supposed to live now that you just took away their frond homes???  ;D ;D ;D

Ha!  Nicely done guys.  Can you use Bird leaves to wrap a pig like banana leaves?

Well, a Woodpecker hid a ton of acorns up there, I am sure he will be back ;D
Not sure the leaves are good for wrapping the pig, I remember asking someone at a nursery about that subject and was advised not to use them, can't recall the reason but I play it safe with cheese cloth and burlap ;)

Latimeria

Quote from: Tim524 on May 14, 2023, 08:08:25 PM
Quote from: Latimeria on May 14, 2023, 03:30:40 PM

Not sure the leaves are good for wrapping the pig, I remember asking someone at a nursery about that subject and was advised not to use them, can't recall the reason but I play it safe with cheese cloth and burlap ;)

That's what I needed to know and I'll keep that in my list of things not to cook with...  8)
You can't catch them from your computer chair.