News:

Prehistoric Soul - 2024

We are pleased to announce that the forum has been successfully updated to the latest version. While the process has been gradual and some posts were unfortunately lost, the forum is now operating on a stable platform. Over the coming weeks, we will continue to make periodic updates, including adjustments to colors, advertisements, and other features. In the meantime, we encourage you to catch up on old posts or contribute new ones. Thank you for your patience and continued support.

Main Menu

Thresher fishing

Started by Chris, July 10, 2023, 01:03:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris

Went out last Wednesday to see if I could find the threshers. Launched at 4:30pm, Didn't bring bait, just a sabiki and wasted over an hour and half trying to catch Mack's... lots of small baits around but no Mack's until I finally ran over a school around 6pm.

Got a few in the bag, spiked them and sent them out for a drift. Did 3 drifts covering some structure and picked up more Mack's on the drift. Final drift I decided to go in super shallow and start in 35ft rather than 50ish and drift into the beach. 28ft I get picked up, hook up and classic small thresher fight but after 20 seconds and 2 good runs my 100lb mono top shot broke... clean cut with chafe.. not sure what happened there but it was getting late so I headed in.

Next day Britney and I went out about 4pm with the fresh Mack's (froze them over night) and went right up on the beach. Did 4 drifts with one knock down but no hookup and was getting frustrated. Drifting into 20ft of water and as I was pulling in the float rod the fly line got picked up. Quick fight and Britney had a 47" FL thresher on her lap!

Had to book it out of the surf zone before we got into breakers, got some pics then headed for the harbor.

Keep it tight

Latimeria

Bravo guys!!!  I love that last minute trip trips that produce!  (Actually I miss the hell out of it... I'm getting tired of all this grown up sh!t.  I thought by now it would be getting easier)

Congrats Britney!
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

Chris

Quote from: Latimeria on July 10, 2023, 07:36:29 PM
Bravo guys!!!  I love that last minute trip trips that produce!  (Actually I miss the hell out of it... I'm getting tired of all this grown up sh!t.  I thought by now it would be getting easier)

Congrats Britney!

Sometimes it's nice to go for something I know and nail it. Still trying to figure out the inshore yellows but it seems like when I want to find a thresher it only takes one or two tries. I also have that shark curse we thought was a blessing not long ago... I'm going to venture up to Jeremy's grounds soon and give it a go. It'll make a nice podcast or video log. Even if it takes 3-5 tries. He has better grade fish too
Keep it tight

Tim524

Wow, that's really cool, Congrats !!

KogaHead

Sweet, Thresher is some good eating!!!
2024 Prehistoric Soul Football Champion
(Tom & Jeremy Suck!)

jrodda

Quote from: Chris on July 11, 2023, 12:11:56 AM
Quote from: Latimeria on July 10, 2023, 07:36:29 PM

Congrats Britney!

Sometimes it's nice to go for something I know and nail it. Still trying to figure out the inshore yellows but it seems like when I want to find a thresher it only takes one or two tries. I also have that shark curse we thought was a blessing not long ago... I'm going to venture up to Jeremy's grounds soon and give it a go. It'll make a nice podcast or video log. Even if it takes 3-5 tries. He has better grade fish too

I bet you could slam them up here as long as the conditions set up.

vdisney

Very cool indeed, always enjoy your posts
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect