News:

Prehistoric Soul - 2024

We are pleased to announce that the forum has been successfully updated to the latest version. While the process has been gradual and some posts were unfortunately lost, the forum is now operating on a stable platform. Over the coming weeks, we will continue to make periodic updates, including adjustments to colors, advertisements, and other features. In the meantime, we encourage you to catch up on old posts or contribute new ones. Thank you for your patience and continued support.

Main Menu

The Continental - Part 3

Started by Latimeria, November 23, 2023, 07:57:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Latimeria

The next morning I wanted to fish for the cats, but was lured back to the Continental.  I wanted a Bowfin and maybe one of the gar I saw the other day lurking about.

I drove around the community checking on other spots so I didn't get all pinned down on one.  I figured I'd get a bass at the least.

So many gar in the water, but I couldn't ID which type.  I unexpectedly get what I felt was a needlefish hit and realized I have one of the gar!  The hook was right in that long snout so I wasn't sure if it was hooked, or just chomping down on the hook.  I reached for my phone to get a picture and as I looked down heard a loud WHOOSH and a huge wake in the water came a good foot in height.  Rod was super tight and then gone.  I didn't see it but was pretty sure it was a gator.  I saw a wake go into the swamp so figured that was it going to eat my fish.  Such a bummer.

I moved around since I only had a few hours before I had to run back and wasn't sure how I would get my gar or a bowfin with gators all over.  I pinned on a gulp sandworm on a C-Rig and tried that.  Bluegill were biting it, but I wasn't getting anything substantial.  I moved on and found the apparent "Fishing Spot".

I knew I had only a few casts before heading back to meet the family for breakfast, so casted the surf perch rig to see what I could get.  Well dam, I got a great hit and quite a snappy fight!  I was expecting to see a catfish, but BAM!  Mission Accomplished!

After getting some good shots for what it would let me get, I pitched him back and 2 casts later, had another!  Homey Hole!

I had to get a picture of the Gular Plate!  Only fish in North America that has one.  One of the first fish I learned about in Ichthyology.

Then I cursed myself by saying, man, this is easy!  Next 20 casts nothing and I had to vamoose. This place is 4 miles away from where I am staying so I couldn't maximize small windows of time to get out, but it was glorious!

Time to hit the retention ponds just before dinner.  My father said, "For someone I remember telling please don't make this a fishing trip, you sure are doing a lot of fishing.  LOL

Next Post will encapture a few days catching cats on Zara Spooks, LC's and wine corks.
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

Tim524