News:

Prehistoric Soul - 2024

We are pleased to announce that the forum has been successfully updated to the latest version. While the process has been gradual and some posts were unfortunately lost, the forum is now operating on a stable platform. Over the coming weeks, we will continue to make periodic updates, including adjustments to colors, advertisements, and other features. In the meantime, we encourage you to catch up on old posts or contribute new ones. Thank you for your patience and continued support.

Main Menu

Bonito Hunt (12/26)

Started by Latimeria, December 27, 2023, 07:33:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Latimeria

I heard the bonito were biting and packed up the boat.  I would love to catch some big winter bonito, but always make an appearance when I can't get out.  There doesn't look to be too many easy boat days this week as the swell is set to be huge, so I packed accordingly.  I almost brought the electric gear to hunt for swords, but decided to just old school it instead.

No signs of birds or bait, but the sonar showed a lot of it.  Water was dirty from the big King Tides and I went looking for gamefish.  As usual, I didn't hook any nor could find the bastards.

I had to resort to plan B if I was going to do any catching, and my numbers on this 360' spot just keep producing! 

I have no room in the freezer after this trip...

Assorted cod on every drop...

The reds were all quality and I only got two nicer ones.

I caught what i thought was a Boccaccio at first, but not sure.  Body seemed wrong and it had colors of a Mexican Rockfish.

I haven't seen one of these in a while.

The entire time I'm using the 300 gram bucktail with a 7" strip of tune belly.  I get slammed a few times, but never got it to stay on for long, then I hooked it..  WTF!?!?!

The way it was fighting my mind went from a Broomtail Grouper to a shark, then settled with a yellowtail.  I was pretty certain at this point since it kept stripping drag the entire time from 360'... 
When I saw it, I still didn't register since I was expecting to see a yellowtail and this thing was BIG, FAT, and PINK!  Holy sh!t!

A new PB for me!

With quick limits, I decided to continue looking for bonito, but the NW wind kicked up making it pretty wet out there, so I headed back to the barn early.

I get back to the ramp and think I see Kogahead's calling card.  I'm really not sure what it was, but I left it alone.  I really didn't want to know.

Anyway, It was a great last harvest trip of 2023 and I'm good with Rock Cod meat for a while.  lol
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

sasquatch

Good thing I couldn't make it. There wouldn't have been room in your freezer.

jrodda

Another great bottomfish trip!

I would be willing to agree with you about that being a Mexican.

Really nice sheephead, congrats on the PB. I'd love to see more big goats.

That toy is NASTY jesus hahahahahahahahahahaha

vdisney

Dang, that goat is a toad.  Congrats on your PB, Happy New Year
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect

Latimeria

You can't catch them from your computer chair.

Tim524

Nice 2023 cleanup, that is an awesome Goat for sure. I hope the Fish Gods are good to you in 2024 8)

KogaHead

Surprised you do not recognize your own anal plug
2024 Prehistoric Soul Football Champion
(Tom & Jeremy Suck!)