News:

Prehistoric Soul - 2024

We are pleased to announce that the forum has been successfully updated to the latest version. While the process has been gradual and some posts were unfortunately lost, the forum is now operating on a stable platform. Over the coming weeks, we will continue to make periodic updates, including adjustments to colors, advertisements, and other features. In the meantime, we encourage you to catch up on old posts or contribute new ones. Thank you for your patience and continued support.

Main Menu

Kauai Fishing

Started by Latimeria, May 02, 2024, 11:28:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Latimeria

My wife is turning 50 and it's our 20th anniversary. I asked my wife what she wanted for her birthday and she said "A trip to Hawaii"....  Not exactly what I was thinking and a hell of a lot more $$$ than I was expecting, but neither of us have been to the islands before.  After she picked the island and resort, we reserved our time on Kauai at a beachfront resort.  I tried talking her into an air B&B, but she wanted a resort....  Well, I most likely won't be chartering any boats to go fishing with all the coin I'm dropping, but going to do some surf and reef fishing to hopefully get a few dozen new species to add to my list.  I would need 31 to hit the 400 species mark.  That may be a stretch, but I'm arming myself with all of the little critter gear also to help try and make that happen.

Anyone fish Kauai before?  If so, any pointers?  Everything I read so far is pretty standard to how I would go about it, but asking just in case someone knows something that I might not have thought of. 

Thanks!
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

jrodda

Never been, would love to. Im sure you will find a rhythm and figure it out. C-rigs, crack, feathers, KMs. Should get awfully close to 400 with that trip.

KogaHead

Dropping coin on her anniversary versus the money you spend of fishing. You are a penny pinching cheap sh!t!
2024 Prehistoric Soul Football Champion
(Tom & Jeremy Suck!)

Latimeria

Quote from: KogaHead on May 03, 2024, 07:22:02 AM
Dropping coin on her anniversary versus the money you spend of fishing. You are a penny pinching cheap sh!t!

She's lucky to have me for this long!

Tim524

Congrats on the 20 years !!!  It would be funny if you caught a Bat Ray over there .

Latimeria

constant 25-35 mph winds in my face 24 hours a day.  Damn trade winds are making things tough.

Went 0/5 today in the surf before losing my iron.  Trying to cast into that wind and set the hook with a bow in your line seems impossibkle.

Going to try again later and adapt to another style of fishing.

jrodda

Oh I thought this trip would be a way's into the future. Good luck out there!

Tim524

There is always Plan B

vdisney

Can't imagine casting into a 35 mpg head wind, hopefully things shift for you.  Looking forward to seeing a exotic
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect

Latimeria

Fishing is almost impossible in the surf in front of the resort.  Don't ask me how I did it, but found a protected harbor about 15 minutes away and talked my wife into "visiting a State Park" with me.  I'm not sure what she'll say when the taxi shows up to get us and I have my fishing tackle with me.  I have a way that might make her forgive me, but I NEED TO CATCH A FISH while I'm here!

jrodda

Looking at the forecast for you. I hope you will be there through Friday, thu and fri the wind looks like it will ease off.

KogaHead

Quote from: Latimeria on May 05, 2024, 01:16:52 PM
constant 25-35 mph winds in my face 24 hours a day.  Damn trade winds are making things tough.

Went 0/5 today in the surf before losing my iron.  Trying to cast into that wind and set the hook with a bow in your line seems impossibkle.

Going to try again later and adapt to another style of fishing.

Karma for trying to fish on a anniversary trip
2024 Prehistoric Soul Football Champion
(Tom & Jeremy Suck!)