News:

Prehistoric Soul - 2024

We are pleased to announce that the forum has been successfully updated to the latest version. While the process has been gradual and some posts were unfortunately lost, the forum is now operating on a stable platform. Over the coming weeks, we will continue to make periodic updates, including adjustments to colors, advertisements, and other features. In the meantime, we encourage you to catch up on old posts or contribute new ones. Thank you for your patience and continued support.

Main Menu

It Almost Felt Like 2008 Again... (6/2)

Started by Latimeria, June 02, 2024, 05:30:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Latimeria

I was going to hit the surf but decided to run down to the bay instead and throw the topwater at the top of the tide.  I had something f@cking with my spook, but it may have been smelt.

Then.... a loud ass "SLURP" and line was tight!  I swear I hooked a striper and then thought a WSB since it was ripping the drag so hard...  5-6 minutes later and it was splashing like a champ, and I was like OOOOOHHH!  This is a 2008-2009 style Corvina!   28–30-inch range and I got a little wobbly in the knees.  I'm glad fish still do that to me every now and then!

Started to slide him up and then I felt nothing.  line snapped by the knot and his big fat ass just slowly turned and just quietly swam away with my spook in his face.  Ugh..... I haven't seen a corvine this size since the late 2000's when the EDC was crushing the 27–31-inch fish!

My memory came back to me in hindsight as it always does and lets me know I never retied...  I would have called it laziness, but it never crossed my mind until it was too late...  We would have to get each other's lures all the time from them snapping on big casts.  We pretty much retied multiple time a trip in those old vina days, but I definitely don't target them like I used to and just forgot.  Ugh....

I only had a Daiwa "walk the dog" lure left so tied it on.  Tide was dropping and the surface activity seemed to slow down a bunch.  After 100 casts, I switched to a swimbait.  First cast and a typical MB spotty.

I was still depressed for losing that vina, so decided to take a drive and do a little fossil hunting to make up for it.

Mission accomplished at least on that end.
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

Tim524

Ouch, did you get the line  from Jeremy ?
It would be cool if you went back and caught the fish again and got your Spook back, only you cold pull something like that off !

jrodda

Damn...welcome to my world! At least I haven't had a serious heart break like that, just chronic frustration. Retying is certainly part of the game. I remember some of those late 2000's reports though. I think I've seen a couple big corvina on instagram as of late so perhaps it's gonna be a good year for that.

Quote from: Tim524 on June 02, 2024, 07:19:20 PM
Ouch, did you get the line  from Jeremy ?
It would be cool if you went back and caught the fish again and got your Spook back, only you cold pull something like that off !

Wishing I could catch some of the fish I've hooked and popped in the past couple weeks just so I could clean them up of my sh!tty leaders.

vdisney

Bummer Tom, can't think of anything else to say
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect

Latimeria

Yeah, it was a bummer but hopefully the tide is turning.  I'm just going to be a little more OCD with my leaders and knot tying for now on.  lol
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

KogaHead

2024 Prehistoric Soul Football Champion
(Tom & Jeremy Suck!)