News:

Prehistoric Soul - 2024

We are pleased to announce that the forum has been successfully updated to the latest version. While the process has been gradual and some posts were unfortunately lost, the forum is now operating on a stable platform. Over the coming weeks, we will continue to make periodic updates, including adjustments to colors, advertisements, and other features. In the meantime, we encourage you to catch up on old posts or contribute new ones. Thank you for your patience and continued support.

Main Menu

Finally got my helping of Soup

Started by raychavez91, April 06, 2015, 11:08:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

raychavez91

After such a slow last couple weeks and heavy salad presence, I haven't bin all that tempted to hit the surf and deal with all excess baggage, so off bin going to the bay.
Well today with the temps and swell down coupled with fresh macks, I figured why not go for a surf soak.
Made the solo run just after sunset to very cold, and somewhat windy conditions, but hey no eel grass or kelp!
After maybe an hr I get a few taps, swing and a miss...this happened 3 more times, so I started doing the running man hookset and got a few short calico's.

Finally got a nice mack tail trimmed the fin off and launched it.
A few taps later I prep the drag for my running man hookset on some gentle taps, and as I run, swinging, something goes berserk on the surface...
Long story short it gave me a run for my money, now I understand why they are so sought after, my 1st grinner, 73" long female, and go figure this beach is always packed with joggers and beach goers, but not today...it's all good

Snapped a few picks, walked her down, and she took off like a champ

WheresMyBeer

RIGHT ON RAY!!!

Still dying to catch a legit soup. Nice going bradah!  8) 8) 8)

Fish Jerk

Pinoyfisher

Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

SevengillTheVC

So what are you going to fish for now? Nice job man, how was the fight?

sasquatch

Thats great, Ray. Someone kept waking my ass up with texts last night.

raychavez91

Next target?
Some more soup!! Pretty much anything toothie lol
Lot of runs, lots of headshakes, hard to tell if it breached tho...plus it went straight for structure several times...but everything held up great.
Nice to finally have a clear shot in the surf instead of dealing with all these extra elements I notice the San Diegans put up with in the surf aswell

Latimeria

Congrats Ray!  I had intentions of getting down there last night, but it never happened.  Glad you got your first soupie and it sure is a legit one.  Anything 6 feet and over is a hell of a fish. 
Bravo!

Quote from: sasquatch on April 07, 2015, 04:40:52 AM
Thats great, Ray. Someone kept waking my ass up with texts last night.
I was wondering if I woke you or not with all of the texts!  LOL
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

Eric H

Very nice Ray, glad you got one.

Hopefully there's a few others still sticking around..

vdisney

HELL YEA RAMON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Totally stoked for you brother, you earned it....................Verne
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect

jlwells

Awesome man! Bout time someone got on some grinners.

raychavez91

j.rasta

xjchad

Pinoyfisher

How was that solo tail drag onto the beach? At about what time was this?
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)