News:

Prehistoric Soul - 2024

We are pleased to announce that the forum has been successfully updated to the latest version. While the process has been gradual and some posts were unfortunately lost, the forum is now operating on a stable platform. Over the coming weeks, we will continue to make periodic updates, including adjustments to colors, advertisements, and other features. In the meantime, we encourage you to catch up on old posts or contribute new ones. Thank you for your patience and continued support.

Main Menu

Won a Used Avet...

Started by jrodda, June 04, 2024, 05:37:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jrodda

JX 4.6, intend on using it as a heavy jigstick reel, moving my two other JXs to different posts.

Normally I can't go wrong with an ebay avet. This one arrived kinda dirty and grinding though. Oh boy! Gave it a cleaning and the gears obviously need replacing. A first for me with Avets, normally the steel straight teeth hold up.

Trying to find the parts online and I have to go directly through them. Other forums brought up that they are horrendous to get parts from, so I might be in for a headache with this.

At least I don't use the heavy jigstick too much. It will free up the others to be on more frequently used rigs. 2 speed for threshers and light trolling, 6.0 for deep drops.

skrilla

I've never had serious issues ordering parts from Avet and I've ordered tons of bearings from them.

Tim524

I don't own one yet, I hear they are great reels. On our way back from Bishop in a couple weeks we will be stopping at Bass Pro for lunch and A leg stretch, maybe I'll take a look at the Avets again.

jrodda

Quote from: skrilla on June 05, 2024, 11:37:29 AM
I've never had serious issues ordering parts from Avet and I've ordered tons of bearings from them.

Do you email them or call them? They didn't get back to my email today, hope I remember to call after work tomorrow to see if that works better.

Latimeria

Last time I needed a clamp and some information, I had to call.  I sent an email, but that took 3 days before they got back to me. lol
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

vdisney

Hoping it works out for you Jeremy, you've got the skill if you can get the parts
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect

skrilla

Quote from: jrodda on June 05, 2024, 08:04:04 PM
Quote from: skrilla on June 05, 2024, 11:37:29 AM

Do you email them or call them? They didn't get back to my email today, hope I remember to call after work tomorrow to see if that works better.

I always called. The ladies I've dealt with on the phone have been awesome. If they give you sh!t ask for Scott.

jrodda

Well! This has progressed horribly!

I ended up calling on 7/19. Lady answered and said to email info@avetreels.com and hurried me off the phone.

I wrote an email (7/19) asking for the specific parts and a quote, offering to exchange my shipping/billing info once I get the quote.

(7/29) They took 10 days to respond to the email. The response was an all-caps run on sentence asking for only my address. Didn't ask for CC info, nor did they give me a quote.

Gave them address same day (7/29) and asked for a quote (again).

(8/2) 4 days later, they say "GREAT WE WILL GET TO WORK ON THAT"

Honestly tried to forget what was happening for a while, mildly ashamed I am such a fan of these reels. Great anti-reverse......

I followed up (8/26) asking what's going on?

They responded (9/10) saying "HI JEREMY WE HAVE PARTS READY FOR A WHILE NOW WE JUST NEED CREDIT CARD INFO WE DON'T HAVE A PHONE NUMBER TO CALL YOU"

They finally attached an invoice to this one, dated 7/30........!!!!

I kinda wanna say why the f@ck didn't you ask for pertinent information sooner, respond sooner, send the invoice 6 weeks sooner, etc. Just gotta shut up and pay...This is all the more infuriating having worked in two different fishing customer service departments and knowing these things should be SOOOOOO much smoother.

Thankfully steel gears don't wear out too quick...even working at Shimano I would like to maintain maybe 4 Avets in my arsenal for the small/medium lever drags. Other than that I will switch the big boys to Tiagras.

Latimeria

Quote from: jrodda on September 17, 2024, 05:53:48 PMWell! This has progressed horribly!

I ended up calling on 7/19. Lady answered and said to email info@avetreels.com and hurried me off the phone.

I wrote an email (7/19) asking for the specific parts and a quote, offering to exchange my shipping/billing info once I get the quote.

(7/29) They took 10 days to respond to the email. The response was an all-caps run on sentence asking for only my address. Didn't ask for CC info, nor did they give me a quote.

Gave them address same day (7/29) and asked for a quote (again).

(8/2) 4 days later, they say "GREAT WE WILL GET TO WORK ON THAT"

Honestly tried to forget what was happening for a while, mildly ashamed I am such a fan of these reels. Great anti-reverse......

I followed up (8/26) asking what's going on?

They responded (9/10) saying "HI JEREMY WE HAVE PARTS READY FOR A WHILE NOW WE JUST NEED CREDIT CARD INFO WE DON'T HAVE A PHONE NUMBER TO CALL YOU"

They finally attached an invoice to this one, dated 7/30........!!!!

I kinda wanna say why the f@ck didn't you ask for pertinent information sooner, respond sooner, send the invoice 6 weeks sooner, etc. Just gotta shut up and pay...This is all the more infuriating having worked in two different fishing customer service departments and knowing these things should be SOOOOOO much smoother.

Thankfully steel gears don't wear out too quick...even working at Shimano I would like to maintain maybe 4 Avets in my arsenal for the small/medium lever drags. Other than that I will switch the big boys to Tiagras.

I've only had to call them once before and I came away thinking it wasn't a really professional customer service operation. I felt like I was calling some service from Craigslist. I like the reels, but it lacked  in front office stuff and info.
You can't catch them from your computer chair.