News:

Prehistoric Soul - 2024

We are pleased to announce that the forum has been successfully updated to the latest version. While the process has been gradual and some posts were unfortunately lost, the forum is now operating on a stable platform. Over the coming weeks, we will continue to make periodic updates, including adjustments to colors, advertisements, and other features. In the meantime, we encourage you to catch up on old posts or contribute new ones. Thank you for your patience and continued support.

Main Menu

Surf Sesh 4/7

Started by Pinoyfisher, April 08, 2015, 12:38:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pinoyfisher

Got a late start, as usual, but decided to give it a go anyways. Arrived at the sand by 9pm with the tide coming in. A quick look around revealed piles of kelp and eel grass... CRAP! Well, I didn't drive up here for nothing, so, I set up shop.

Armed with some sweet macks courtesy of Binh, I make my first cast. Lots of nibbled and mashed baits was the theme for the night.

45 minutes into my night, I'm wading out in near waist deep water and my head lamp catches the glint of eyes looking back at me about 5' from me. Scared the sh!t out of me!! It was a cute little sealion, all 15-20lbs worth. He was about as big as 1yr old kid. He didn't stick around long enough for me to take a picture. Was it wrong of me to hope he made the spot all the more "sharky"?

I brought about 10 primo mack chunks. I always over prepare. Binh can attest to that. 7th bait gets sent out. Seconds after hitting the water, it's getting tore up by critters. I'm thinking calicos. Rod tip bouncing around like crazy. I set the reel in gear, turn off the clicker and begin to fish "pier style". I'm standing holding the rod waiting to sink that big ass hook into the bait thief. I feel some weight, so, I slowly rear back and high stick the rod. Line slowly strips away like a big ass wad of kelp was on it. I button down the drag getting ready to drag it and head home. Line continues stripping, now at a faster clip. And it begins changing direction... holy sh!t... I can catch fish!! Well... hook one at least ;)

The fight isn't a very long one, but it was a tough one. She wants the structure and I just wanna land it and go home. I push star drag forward even further and it continues to go it's own way. No head shakes, just a steady pull. Yup, as I feared, a big 'ol surf bat. Them things are extra mean in the surf, coupled with all the kelp in the water, I was not looking forward to it.

Not sure how much drag I fished to horse her in, but I'm guessing close to 18-20lbs and she made me pay for it. My back is still sore as I type this. Sorry Tom. A 10 minute fight that felt like an hour. Forearms are sore and my left hand stuck in a kung fu grip from holding the rod. I get her semi beached with some surf help, put the reel in free-spool and turn the click on. I run down and haul her heavy ass up onto the beach. Damn, I needed a sand hand!! Pictures suck too when you're fishing solo.

53". Not too shabby!!

Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

SevengillTheVC

That is a legit mud marlin! My fishing plans were put on hold today, looks like you got a good one!

sasquatch

Latimeria

Damn Mike!  That is beastly!

So glad you caught with all of that crap around.  When we drove up last night, I was on the edge of a nasty shoreline kelp and grass mess that could have ruined my night, but when the tide switched, it was kept at bay.

That thing looks like it would have destroyed your back.  My back hurts just looking at it, but I fish the same way in the surf... drags buttoned down and get them in soon as possible.  Too many mines out in the water ready to blow up your catch.  Bummer it wasn't a soupie, but hell... that is one fat mat of a bat! (Look at me, all rhyming and sh!t)  LOL
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

raychavez91

Very nice sesh man. I really don't look forward to surf bats no more lol. But definitely a nice batty you got there...crazy about the seal for sure tho.

BackBayMan

Legit Bat! I'm also relieved that I'm not a total wuss. I do the same thing with my drag to stop the run and end the fight quick, but it beats the crap out of me ;D
Anybody have an emergency beer?

WheresMyBeer

Whoa Mike, 53 is legit !

Congrats on a surf trophy. Nice  8) 8)

Eric H

Nice bat, looks huge next to you.

Rammer

Rammer

Jaws

Killer bat from the surf! Congrats!
It's all Tom and Don's fault! They "hooked" me on mud marlins and sharks!

SNBF VI  Winner

1morecast

Sorry I wasn't there to lend a hand. Glad to see your breaking that fishless streak. (Now, let's catch some sharks!)
2016 Summer Shark Fishing Champion :)
Twenty Three (23)

Pinoyfisher

Quote from: 1morecast on April 09, 2015, 03:14:19 PM
Sorry I wasn't there to lend a hand. Glad to see your breaking that fishless streak. (Now, let's catch some sharks!)

Yeah, I'm over surf bats... LOL!!! I needs me a grinner!
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

Pinoyfisher

Went out again last night to see if there was any luck left in me... NOPE. A sh!t ton of kelp and eel grass. Had to do some redecorating just to make the area fishable:

Sweet macks went untouched  >:(  Time on the sand... right....?
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

raychavez91

Ouch! That's tough man

Latimeria

Quote from: Pinoyfisher on April 09, 2015, 09:56:51 PM
Went out again last night to see if there was any luck left in me... NOPE. A sh!t ton of kelp and eel grass. Had to do some redecorating just to make the area fishable:

Sweet macks went untouched  >:(  Time on the sand... right....?

EEeesh!  That is a partial forest there!  Oh well, you got the time out in the sand... I won't tell you that I got another one last night then... well sort of with a mighty assist!  (The kelp and grass were bad)
You can't catch them from your computer chair.