News:

Prehistoric Soul - 2024

We are pleased to announce that the forum has been successfully updated to the latest version. While the process has been gradual and some posts were unfortunately lost, the forum is now operating on a stable platform. Over the coming weeks, we will continue to make periodic updates, including adjustments to colors, advertisements, and other features. In the meantime, we encourage you to catch up on old posts or contribute new ones. Thank you for your patience and continued support.

Main Menu

Spotties with Koga 7/6

Started by jrodda, July 06, 2024, 11:11:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jrodda

Koga hit me up a couple weeks ago that he'd be in town and he wanted to show me his way of spotty fishing. I was down of course. Be there at 0500 sharp. And put your valuables in a baggie, we're going balls deep.

I met the internet kook at 0500 seedily lurking under a lamppost, getting enjoyment out of an egret predating on smelt, most of which I'm sure had wives and children...and dreams.

True gentleman right out of the gates, handing off some lures that have worked for him to dial in the bay bass. He pointed out his favorite structures and conditions and general strategies, and we got to work. He said a bad day is 5. My best outside of SD Bay might be 2, so I was stoked to level up.

Within minutes, I had my first on the board.

Not too long after, Koga got his skunk buster. Already some consistent action!

Then I got another to hand. Smaller but still a little surreal for me to have consistent action. Well well well, this ain't my same old spotty song and dance.

Missed another bite, but got a better one shortly after.

There was a south wind and cold front moving in which, Koga was presuming, seemed to be choking the fish's appetite. I believed this was Koga's excuse for being outfished at this point. I was pretty much satisfied already but we had a long way to go in the tide, and it did slow down quite a bit. Koga got another, right around the time I got a pretty little calico.

Koga stacked two back to back to even it up. Then just as I was burning my swimbait back to cast again, a solid 3lb class spotty/fish chased it up full speed and exploded on it at my feet, narrowly missing it. Woke me right up, but it was my last bite.

We finished up around 0930. Cold front probably did play havoc on them today but still glad we came away with a few.

Thanks again Chris for your generosity with time and knowledge and lures, it's very much appreciated!

sasquatch

Latimeria

You can't catch them from your computer chair.

Latimeria

So Koga actually knows how to catch fish?  I was always under the assumption that the "Cav" or Dan would hand off the rod to him after they hooked it.  lol

Well done Jeremy and congrats.  We'll need to fish the SD bay again.  If we don't hit 100 for the boat, it's a bad day. 
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

jrodda

Quote from: Latimeria on July 06, 2024, 01:45:39 PM
So Koga actually knows how to catch fish?  I was always under the assumption that the "Cav" or Dan would hand off the rod to him after they hooked it.  lol

Well done Jeremy and congrats.  We'll need to fish the SD bay again.  If we don't hit 100 for the boat, it's a bad day.

I mentioned "well TOM says that FORTY is a bad day." "Tom is one lucky motherf@cker..."

Pencil me in for a bay trip, I know I can make time for that.

vdisney

Works for me, fishing has been slow for us
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect

Tim524

3 and 4'' swim baits usually gets the job done, fun stuff !

j.rasta

Nice work on the salty bass, calicos from shore are always dope.

Like Tom said 40 for the boat in SD bay , is struggling, 40 a piece is what I always shoot for. Took my cousin, who was in town from IDAHO, and his brother in law, Santucky native, out on SD bay Sat morning 8-1130, and got around 50 for 3 of us, and the bite was Mid AF as the kids say..