News:

Prehistoric Soul - 2024

We are pleased to announce that the forum has been successfully updated to the latest version. While the process has been gradual and some posts were unfortunately lost, the forum is now operating on a stable platform. Over the coming weeks, we will continue to make periodic updates, including adjustments to colors, advertisements, and other features. In the meantime, we encourage you to catch up on old posts or contribute new ones. Thank you for your patience and continued support.

Main Menu

Little T Hunt 7/14

Started by jrodda, July 16, 2024, 06:19:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jrodda

My pal mentioned there were 30-40lb bluefin in wolf packs swimming around Catalina Channel, so I kept the boat inflated and considered a game plan. I've got this silly idea stuck in my head to chase the light line class records for Pacific BFT as they are as such...

Challenging, but attainable.

Well, I got back from Saturday's trip and started a nap at 1530, woke up at 2330...guess I needed some rest. Kinda lost the prep time I expected to have, though. Went back to bed and by morning I was having a hard time convincing myself to get up and fish. No way in hell did I wanna do a 50+ mile loop for these low percentage tuna. Finally ended up deciding to go see if I could get a thresher.

Launched at 0745. Once again, some wind to start the morning. Headed to the LB break wall and there wasn't much life. Set out a fresh frozen butterflied mackerel on a float and then started setting up a c-rig on my surf rod to cast around for fresh mackerel. Fumbled with that for too long, then just as I was finishing with that, mackerel started boiling all around. Perfect! Made a cast, no bites, sinker tangle. Oi! Was getting close to drifting into the wall. Reset on the back of the school, put the float rig back out. Started trying to untangle the c-rig and then the float rig clicker starts screaming. Oi! As soon as I reach for it, it stops. Keep watching it for another minute then reeled it in. Looks like it was a smaller one. Got the blood going though.

Sent another mackerel out on top of where I got the bite. The mackerel school on the surface disappeared. Casted around and wasn't getting bumped. Then realized the water was 62.5º. Jeez. Wild difference between here and a few miles south. As I reset for my next drift I realized there was some micro temp bubble, because just just a few hundred yards over the temp hopped up to 64º. Fishing a temp break is normally a good thing, but the life had obviously disappeared. Gave it a few more drifts before giving up and meandered home, watching for bait as I went. Really quick trip overall, back to the launch before 1100. One short bite from a T is far from my worst trip while targeting them.

Latimeria

A bite from a T-Shark is a good Day.  Too many No Bite days to count.  LOL

Right on Jeremy.  I can't wait to see if you go for BFT.  I had the world record yellowtail on 8#, but it tested to 10#, so no record for me back in 1998.

4# for BFT.... hahahaha
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

jrodda

Quote from: Latimeria on July 17, 2024, 03:06:14 PM
A bite from a T-Shark is a good Day.  Too many No Bite days to count.  LOL

Right on Jeremy.  I can't wait to see if you go for BFT.  I had the world record yellowtail on 8#, but it tested to 10#, so no record for me back in 1998.

4# for BFT.... hahahaha

The CRAZIEST thing happened at work this past week. I was working on like 8 of this guy's reels. I noticed he had a Trinidad 10a with 4# topshot. I thought...he must be a record chaser. Over the weekend I rig my setup with 8# Ande and I'm ready for it, but bail. Monday I realized, oh sh!t! This is Greg Taite's reels on my desk! I'm eyeing HIS 8# BFT line class record and his reels are on MY desk! What are the odds of that???? I get that it's a small world in fishing but the timing was utterly insane. Didn't get to talk to him about it unfortunately.

Tim524

If you want A T-shark, get ahold of Justin , he owns Bowline Sportfishing LB Harbor, he targets and catches them nonstop !

KogaHead

looks like 8 lb and 6 lb line is the sweet spot
2024 Prehistoric Soul Football Champion
(Tom & Jeremy Suck!)

vdisney

Curious, if I may ask.  Are you targeting threshers inside or outside of the wall?  Something about chasing BFT with 4lb line doesn't make sense to me.
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect

jrodda

Quote from: vdisney on July 19, 2024, 04:03:46 AM
Curious, if I may ask.  Are you targeting threshers inside or outside of the wall?  Something about chasing BFT with 4lb line doesn't make sense to me.

Sent you a text on some specifics.

BFT on 4lb sounds pretty dull, but I bet one could beat that record. If I do anything it will be the 6 and 8 though.

Latimeria

Quote from: jrodda on July 19, 2024, 05:30:17 AM
Quote from: vdisney on July 19, 2024, 04:03:46 AM

Sent you a text on some specifics.

BFT on 4lb sounds pretty dull, but I bet one could beat that record. If I do anything it will be the 6 and 8 though.

Catching anything on 4# that weighs more than 4# is never dull.  LOL
You can't catch them from your computer chair.