News:

Prehistoric Soul - 2024

We are pleased to announce that the forum has been successfully updated to the latest version. While the process has been gradual and some posts were unfortunately lost, the forum is now operating on a stable platform. Over the coming weeks, we will continue to make periodic updates, including adjustments to colors, advertisements, and other features. In the meantime, we encourage you to catch up on old posts or contribute new ones. Thank you for your patience and continued support.

Main Menu

Pelagic Scouting 7/28

Started by jrodda, July 28, 2024, 05:57:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jrodda

Woke up at 0400, launched from Dana Point at 0600. I heard there were YFT, dorado, and marlin here and there. Weather forecast cleaned up, tide looked right, temp break looked close enough.

Wind blew against the swells early in the morning making things bumpy no matter what direction you went. Started SE as Terrafin claimed the warm water was over toward San Onofre. Unfortunately, my own temp readings implied the water rolled. 70-72 yesterday inside, 67-69 today. SE seemed to be the cold side of the temp break, so I angled back S/SW toward the 267.

Water slicked off about 6 miles offshore. No real signs of life though. Water temp dropped down to 67 and started back up to 67.5 around the bank.

Pulled up on the 267 with 8 other boats, plenty of room to go around still. Everyone trolling around, including myself. I started with a high speed troller early in the morning as I was driving around, and switched out to a cedar plug and a jet head once I slowed down a wee bit and was ready to box the area. A couple sunfish, a few tiny batches of micro bait, and one measly kelp stringer on the seamount. No birds or anything working.

Started back for the warmest water I saw inside around 0815. Intersected with a minke whale.

Water pumped back up to 69 but nothing to see. Off the water a bit after 10. Nice weather. Dana has good vibes. Saw they were building a multi story parking structure. Perused the harbor website and they have a whole harbor renovation thing going on. Internet opinions say this project has been going on for years and it's terrible for the trailer boaters. Seems I missed the public hearings by about 7 years. Traffic was sh!t on the way back as always. Got home and napped for a few hours. Nice way to spend the morning.

Latimeria

Sounds like the usual offshore hunt shared by most guys on the water.

Ugh, the traffic is terrible these days.  Glad to see it was so calm.  I was getting weather reports with bumpy conditions down here.
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

vdisney

Gotta give you an A++ for effort my man
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect

Latimeria

Quote from: vdisney on July 29, 2024, 04:48:28 PM
Gotta give you an A++ for effort my man

Time to get your boat offshore.  I want to see you reel in a big BFT on your sled!
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

Tim524

Dana Point is a cool Harbor, quick access to open water, I just wish it was a wee bit closer for me.

You are about due for something epic on your boat !

Traffic sucks out loud !!!

KogaHead

2024 Prehistoric Soul Football Champion
(Tom & Jeremy Suck!)

jrodda

Timmy I'm with ya, unfortunately there isn't affordable rent within about 20 miles of that launch ramp.

Quote from: KogaHead on July 31, 2024, 04:13:39 PM
Jeremy,

I know the guy selling these, I can get you a deal.

https://www.galatiyachts.com/team/yacht-broker-steve-lassley/#brokerListings

Step up in class!

After a 99.99% discount I still wouldn't be able to afford this month's slip fee.

Start a GoFundMe for one of these...

https://sailfish.com.au/boat/canyonmaster/

Only 200k! And that's kangaroo dollars!