News:

Prehistoric Soul - 2024

We are pleased to announce that the forum has been successfully updated to the latest version. While the process has been gradual and some posts were unfortunately lost, the forum is now operating on a stable platform. Over the coming weeks, we will continue to make periodic updates, including adjustments to colors, advertisements, and other features. In the meantime, we encourage you to catch up on old posts or contribute new ones. Thank you for your patience and continued support.

Main Menu

Marlin on the Brain (8/18)

Started by Latimeria, September 01, 2024, 01:32:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Latimeria

This is a real pain losing a few weeks of posts because it took a few weeks to migrate over to the new revision.

Anyway, I'll keep it brief in order to catch up a bit.

Decided after seeing the bullet tuna and warm 75 degree water, there were marlin around.  My buddy and I decided to target them specifically since neither of us have ever targeted local marlin before (maybe marlin in general).

We found hot clean water and it wasn't long before we started spotting Marlin!  We ran up to some and threw bait on them, but couldn't get any to go.  We boxed the area in trolling big marlin lures just waiting for a strike.

We stopped and fished a few paddies, but they were loaded with bait, blue perch and a bunch of mola getting cleaned by said blue perch.

There was a stupid amount of small bait out there.

We wound up missing 4 marlin within 50' of the boat, and then I had one take it's bill and slash the marlin lure!  It made the clicker scream for a minute and was really cool to watch, but after we dropped a mack back, there was nothing around that wanted to play.  Ugh... another heartbreaker.

Towards the end of our trip, we saw a HUGE marlin!  Maybe close to 300#!  Not sure if it was a blue or a big striped, but it was MUCH bigger than the previous ones we've seen so guessed it was a blue.

What a crazy cool creature in the wild, but alas, another one that didn't want to bite.  Hell, more lost another one since I don't know the tricks to get a marlin to bite if it's being finicky.

We searched with the gyros and saw bait, birds, mammals, and marlin.  No tuna.... Ugh

Sorry to keep it brief, but nothing really happened except having 5 or 6 marlin next to the boat and even raising them in the spread only to have nothing to show for it.

Oh well....  My next 3 trips are almost similar....  lol
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

KogaHead

2024 Prehistoric Soul Football Champion
(Tom & Jeremy Suck!)

vdisney

I have faith Tom, it'll happen   8)
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect