News:

Prehistoric Soul - 2024

We are pleased to announce that the forum has been successfully updated to the latest version. While the process has been gradual and some posts were unfortunately lost, the forum is now operating on a stable platform. Over the coming weeks, we will continue to make periodic updates, including adjustments to colors, advertisements, and other features. In the meantime, we encourage you to catch up on old posts or contribute new ones. Thank you for your patience and continued support.

Main Menu

Minnesota Monster hunting

Started by Ethansauce_, September 12, 2024, 06:30:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ethansauce_

I've been back in Minnesota for about a month now and have finally made considerable progress in figuring out the fishery! After the first week or two, I figured out the bass at the small campus lake, which connects to the Cannon River and then flows through town. After several 10+ bass days, I shifted gears to give the small 1/2-2lb bass a break and started only bringing big swim baits to fish. Boy, I got some strange looks from other students and the local townies, walking around with my Lexa's and big 10" trout swim baits. A few local fishermen even took it upon themselves to let me know how foolish I looked. My only response to them was "big baits or bust" which hasn't made me super popular amongst the locals who religiously fish crappie jigs, spinners, and senkos. Fortunately, it only took me about a week of grinding every day before I was able to hook into this monster pike and prove them wrong.

I'm not sure what is crazier: that my second northern ever just about hit the 40-inch mark, that I landed this guy solo without a net, or that I pulled him out of the campus ponds in front of my dorm. I'm beyond stoked. The fish came within about 7 inches of the current state record (46 inches) for catch-and-release northern pike, which is pretty wild.

Since then, I've lost two others in the 20-30-inch range due to not having proper leader material; these buggers are toothier than a barracuda! Currently waiting on an Amazon order or two before I can give them another go with the right materials.

Getting skunked on land, pier, and kayak since 01'
@ethansauce_

vdisney

Get on Ethan, Chu da Man.................!!!
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect

jrodda

Sick! Way to show those fish something new. Congrats on the PB.

Latimeria

Dude, that's so awesome!  Congrats on that toad and figuring out the campus waterways!  I hope you get the new record soon.

What makes me really laugh is thinking about a crappie fisherman saying you look foolish... Case in point...

You can't catch them from your computer chair.

Ethansauce_

Quote from: Latimeria on September 14, 2024, 08:52:46 AMDude, that's so awesome!  Congrats on that toad and figuring out the campus waterways!  I hope you get the new record soon.

What makes me really laugh is thinking about a crappie fisherman saying you look foolish... Case in point...

I swear that picture could've been taken at my spot haha, the set ups all to accurate.
Getting skunked on land, pier, and kayak since 01'
@ethansauce_