News:

Prehistoric Soul - 2024

We are pleased to announce that the forum has been successfully updated to the latest version. While the process has been gradual and some posts were unfortunately lost, the forum is now operating on a stable platform. Over the coming weeks, we will continue to make periodic updates, including adjustments to colors, advertisements, and other features. In the meantime, we encourage you to catch up on old posts or contribute new ones. Thank you for your patience and continued support.

Main Menu

Interesting Day at the Break Wall 9/14

Started by jrodda, September 14, 2024, 05:07:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jrodda

Summer is coming to an end and my chest freezer is empty!!! Given I'm not keeping bass this year and the new regs shut down my deep bottom spots til October, I've wanted to have a couple big game fish stock the freezer and let the rest of 'em go. Well, that's been tough this summer. Decided I should probably reign it in a bit with the low percentage offshore stuff and see if I can find a thresher in local that could make for a few dozen dinners.

A few stupid delays had me leaving the launch around 0700. Took my time feeling out my unpacking/organizing process with the new-to-me SUV.

Needed to make bait. I only had a 2 year old bonito in the bait freezer that I was planning fish fillet strips with, but obviously would prefer fresh mackerel. Rolled up on the break wall and the Victory cattle boat was fishing it! Lots of birds around and 4 other private boats surrounding it. I scooted up just to see if I could pick off a mackerel but I wanted nothing to do with this ridiculous zoo. Pulled off a jack mackerel and didn't mark anything else so kept moving.

About a quarter mile away, I was passing a little Livingston 14 and admiring it when the skipper waved me over. I was curious and open to talk with him so rolled up and he insisted I fish the area. One of the best bites he's seen on surface bass and bonito! I had thresher on the brain but I appreciated the kind gesture, so I tied on the only small iron I had for the day. Looking at the meter I saw a huge school pass under me, so I dropped it straight down. Hit bottom and I was immediately doubled over on a really nice bass, but it came unbuttoned. The livvie skipper and I kept talking from about 40' away and I got slammed a few more times but couldn't hook them, then it quieted down and neither of us got bit for a few minutes. He said, you killed the bite! Just then I finally got one to go on the surface as I casted to intermittent boils.

After maybe 15-20 minutes we split up after introducing ourselves.

I didn't want the smaller gamefish to chew up my only mackerel if I put it under a float, so I left the area and made a loop to see if there was any other sign of life around. Nope! Came back around and put the float rig out, and jigged for more bait simultaneously.

Two of these down low. Haven't caught one in a very long time. Just as annoying as I remember.

Had a couple bigger bites on the sabiki that would come off. I did catch a pretty solid mackerel, but then I finally brought one of the heavier scrappers to the boat. Bonita indeed!

Looked like the smaller gamefish did take a few pokes at my first float bait, but no action on it otherwise. Wind still hadn't come up by 1130 but the writing was on the wall for my thresher action so I packed it in.

Still have the boat set up for tomorrow. Contemplating between replicating the game plan and hoping the slight shift in tide and other conditions falls in my favor, or hit some new water. We'll see.

Latimeria

You didn't go Marlin fishing? Lol

Nicely done boss as usual. I'm looking forward to the offshore scene dying down but now I want a sword.  This is terrible.
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

vdisney

Sounds fishy, keep at it and you'll hang one.
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect