News:

Prehistoric Soul - 2024

We are pleased to announce that the forum has been successfully updated to the latest version. While the process has been gradual and some posts were unfortunately lost, the forum is now operating on a stable platform. Over the coming weeks, we will continue to make periodic updates, including adjustments to colors, advertisements, and other features. In the meantime, we encourage you to catch up on old posts or contribute new ones. Thank you for your patience and continued support.

Main Menu

single strand wire pro's and con's?

Started by raychavez91, April 12, 2015, 08:16:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

raychavez91

Idk if many use it, but I recently picked some up and I'm wondering what knots do you all prefer? I'm gonna give it a shot this week using the hay wire, normally i prefer sevalon multi strand, but I'll give it a go. Any info greatly appreciated, thanks

sasquatch

Never tried it. Interested to see how it works for you.

Latimeria

I tried single strand and did not care for it too much.  In my opinion, multi-strand and it's flexibility is a much better option in the surf but I'm interested what you think when you use it.  I can tell you one thing is that an eel will DESTROY the single strand leaving it useless after one bite.  It will kink like no ones business.
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

raychavez91

The kinking is 1 thing I was worried about, especially with the eels. As for the stiffness I figured it could help with tangles, although they are not problematic...but the convenience of retying quicker seems really appealing

sasquatch

Quote from: raychavez91 on April 13, 2015, 08:28:07 AM
The kinking is 1 thing I was worried about, especially with the eels. As for the stiffness I figured it could help with tangles, although they are not problematic...but the convenience of retying quicker seems really appealing

Quick leader replacement is why Tom and I have several back up leaders ready to go.

raychavez91

Yeah, I guess ever since I realized I've bin crimping wrong I've not sat down and pre-tied rigs, I have my old rigs, but just lost confidence...but no excuses, that's the way do it

sasquatch

We all travel our own path. As long as things work for you stick with them. When they don't, change them. Try something new and see if you like it.

Pinoyfisher

I bought some single strand accidentally... not fond of it. Haywire twist it. Needle nose and a big nail that has been nailed into a board helped me. Used it once, landed a little leo and it f'ed it all up. Never again! Saving what's left for arts and crafts.
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

WheresMyBeer

as others have already stated the kinks suck.

Eric H

definitely not for me, its used a lot more in other states

Latimeria

Played around with some today, went right into my finger... Go figure. Like the 7 strand even more than before if that's possible.

Eric H

wish you guys would play around with other brands other than 7strand.

Theres better stuff out there but why fix something that's not broken..

Latimeria

Quote from: Eric H on April 20, 2015, 07:33:52 PM
wish you guys would play around with other brands other than 7strand.

Theres better stuff out there but why fix something that's not broken..
Im not using 7~strand brand... It is a coated 7 strand material that i really like. 

sasquatch

I have been happy with the wire I use. Resists serious kinking and does the job. When it fails to do its job I will kick it to the curb. Just like the stuff I used before it. No brand name. Specs written in sharpie.

Latimeria

Quote from: sasquatch on April 20, 2015, 08:05:10 PM
I have been happy with the wire I use. Resists serious kinking and does the job. When it fails to do its job I will kick it to the curb. Just like the stuff I used before it. No brand name. Specs written in sharpie.
Lol, same stuff.