News:

Prehistoric Soul - 2024

We are pleased to announce that the forum has been successfully updated to the latest version. While the process has been gradual and some posts were unfortunately lost, the forum is now operating on a stable platform. Over the coming weeks, we will continue to make periodic updates, including adjustments to colors, advertisements, and other features. In the meantime, we encourage you to catch up on old posts or contribute new ones. Thank you for your patience and continued support.

Main Menu

Case of the "ALMOSTS" ... and a 7 (4/14/15)

Started by WheresMyBeer, April 15, 2015, 09:57:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WheresMyBeer

Still looking for my first Soup, the obsession is getting bad. To the point of being Fin-addict ...

Decided to commit to a later hour (past 9  :P), and found a stretch of beach with relatively low weeds & kelp.

Sunset brought a few good rod tip thumps, and a small eel which mangled Paul's wire leader. Hate those damn things.

I then get a good drag burner only to spit the bait when I engaged the reel. Almost! Damn!!!
Have a good feeling about this spot though.

Roughly 9pm and Paul gets a wiggle on his bells.  ;D

Sets the hook and he's dragging in a fish. Wasn't really paying attention until the eyes lit up as it rolled in the surf. I'll be damned Paul has another 7 under his belt.

Had the honors of the tail grab and the fugger almost got me twice, with another 3 or 4 attempts that were still too close for comfort. Felt like dancing with a rattlesnake ...  >:( >:(

Bite past the tail? No problem :o :o

Jaws up ...

Got a tape on it and sent him back to the sea. 75 1/2" ...

By now we've chummed the area pretty good with frequent bait changes. Had several mangled baits and empty hooks come back, so knew there was a ton of life in the area.

About a half hour later I get another chance. Good tip bounce and I grab the rod. Let the fish run and buried the hook.

Pissed off and heading straight out to sea, I could feel the hard tail thumps as line peeled off the reel.
A thought crossed my mind "will this 60lb leader hold up?"
Nope
**POP**

>:( >:( >:(

ALMOST ....

re-tied but that was it. Packed it in at 11p.

Stats for the 7 gill (4/14/15 - 75 1/2" - Male - Mackerel tail - 2-3 surf - outgoing tide)

Get bent guys!!
WMB

sasquatch

Wire leader, Dave, wire leader. Or 80 for the shock/rub leader, not 60.

Definitely a better night than Tom and I had.

Nice fish, Paul.

xjchad

8)
Great report, thanks!
Love reading these during the work day to get my blood pumping again ;D

Latimeria

Dude, that definitely sounds like a soupie.  I tried 60 pound shock leader once and it doesn't stand a chance.  Don't get all lazy and set yourself up right!  You don't get many opportunities when the bite is on and should be ready to capitalize!   ;)

Well damn, congrats Paul on another 7-gill!  It sounds like you guys found the hot beach!
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

WheresMyBeer

Guess i should clarify 60lb shock/rub is what I meant. I run wire from the hook for sure ... but then about 15 ft of 60. Tail slaps busted that.

80 ... 80 ... 80 ...  >:( :-[ :-[

Latimeria

Quote from: WheresMyBeer on April 15, 2015, 10:29:38 AM
Guess i should clarify 60lb shock/rub is what I meant. I run wire from the hook for sure ... but then about 15 ft of 60. Tail slaps busted that.

80 ... 80 ... 80 ...  >:( :-[ :-[

Yep, I lost two soupies using the 60lb shock leader from the tail slaps.  Never again!  ;D
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

Eric H

Beautiful 7

Tailing them is pretty fun.

Bummer about your break off, you definitely had the right kind.

raychavez91

Awesome stuff guys!!! I gotta get 1 soon, going crazy!

sasquatch

80, 80, 80...  I have some 100 for when I find out 80 is the new 60.

Pinoyfisher

Damn Dave, I think you need to fish without Paul so you can have a decent shot at a 7 ;)
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

Sharkinthedark II

Nice shark guys. Are you using commercial chum or grinding you own?

Jaws

Great shark Paul!

Dave, now you know why I use a 150lb "rub leader"! ;D
It's all Tom and Don's fault! They "hooked" me on mud marlins and sharks!

SNBF VI  Winner

HalibutJoel99

1morecast

Dang, Paul with another 7 gill.  8). You'll land the next one...Dave.

2016 Summer Shark Fishing Champion :)
Twenty Three (23)

j.rasta

Daaaayumn dudes! Nice sesh, sucks losin monsters! I Still got fresh wounds so I feel ur pain dave. Congrats on another big 7 Paul!