News:

Prehistoric Soul - 2024

We are pleased to announce that the forum has been successfully updated to the latest version. While the process has been gradual and some posts were unfortunately lost, the forum is now operating on a stable platform. Over the coming weeks, we will continue to make periodic updates, including adjustments to colors, advertisements, and other features. In the meantime, we encourage you to catch up on old posts or contribute new ones. Thank you for your patience and continued support.

Main Menu

Land based rig

Started by Eric H, April 29, 2015, 07:42:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eric H

Put this one together today

6 feet of 480lb 49 strand wire
20 feet 400lb monofilament
18/0 Lindgren Pitman circle hook
26 feet total length
8/0 crane swivels
4/0 coast lock snap
monster sputnik
26 feet total length

sasquatch

Looks clean.

What is your reasoning behind leaving the circle hook free swinging rather than using the heat shrink to hold it more in place?

Is that cable coated or uncoated? Can't tell on my phone.

Eric H

Quote from: sasquatch on April 29, 2015, 08:02:15 PM

What is your reasoning behind leaving the circle hook free swinging rather than using the heat shrink to hold it more in place?

Is that cable coated or uncoated?

Uncoated..

I just have always let the hook swing free and its worked for me. I also like the idea of it being able to move around free.

I noticed you and Tom like the hook in the fixed position. What is the reasoning behind it?

sasquatch

Tom wouldn't use a circle hook to save his life.

There are situations where I prefer them, and I don't have a strong bias against them.

With both J and circle hooks, we have had hooks end up in weird positions as they swing around. Fixing them in place cuts down on that. I guess it is similar to snelling a hook with mono.

Latimeria

Yep, no circles for me.  Lol

Pretty much what Steve said. The hooks would occasionally flip in weird positions at times and i wanted the hook straight out ready to be in bite position. I don't like my baits swinging when it comes to surf sharks. The snelled mono always gave me better hookups and i believe it is doing the same with the wire.  I have enough under my belt now to feel confident enough.
You can't catch them from your computer chair.