News:

Prehistoric Soul - 2024

We are pleased to announce that the forum has been successfully updated to the latest version. While the process has been gradual and some posts were unfortunately lost, the forum is now operating on a stable platform. Over the coming weeks, we will continue to make periodic updates, including adjustments to colors, advertisements, and other features. In the meantime, we encourage you to catch up on old posts or contribute new ones. Thank you for your patience and continued support.

Main Menu

A Bait-Making Mission (8/23)

Started by Latimeria, August 24, 2014, 08:18:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Latimeria

I had 4 generations of girl Drama happening and NEEDED to get out on the boat for a little R&R.... that and get some bait for shark fishing.  Steve was going to stay up north and try the pier and I was planning on being back by noon.  The MAW was happening this weekend, so I wasn't going to dare venture too far especially with the south swell rolling in.

I trolled a little through the no wake zone heading out to the inlet.  I dumped a bay bass before getting a little 9"er immediately after.  I started to troll again and got a surprise!  This croaker had to be hungry to pop up off the bottom to attack!

I stopped to make a few casts and had a great hit.  It was a scrappy 20" corvina.

I ran outside the inlet and started to catch a bunch of mack.  I didn't use the sabiki so much, but opted for a little more fun on the small irons.  I lost two bonito trying to swing them over the rail before finally getting two for the cooler.

I then hear a text message ring on my phone and see Steve quit Oceanside pier due to slow fishing and was down in the bay.  I picked him up at the courtesy dock and we went back out looking to get more bait.  We actually ran to some structure looking for maybe a better bite, but instead Steve caught a nice Sandy on the 4#.

We ran back outside the inlet and got some more mack but it was s lowing down a lot.  It was definitely a morning bite.

7 species today which was a nice assortment and best of all I filled 4 sacks for some sharking.  The macks varied in size from one-baiters to three-baiters.  The bonito are just bordering too big, but they are definitely nice ones for sharking.

~Tight Lines!
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

xpoc

What fun!

Maybe I'll change up my target species next time I hit up the bay.
BAT FIGHT!!! SD4TH3W1N 2016

sasquatch

Thanks for the pick up Tom. It was good to get some fresh bait.

Limulus

Damn nice bait haul guys. I got one bone in the freezer for you, maybe more after my weekend.

faster u fool

GET OUT AND GET BIT..