News:

Prehistoric Soul - 2024

We are pleased to announce that the forum has been successfully updated to the latest version. While the process has been gradual and some posts were unfortunately lost, the forum is now operating on a stable platform. Over the coming weeks, we will continue to make periodic updates, including adjustments to colors, advertisements, and other features. In the meantime, we encourage you to catch up on old posts or contribute new ones. Thank you for your patience and continued support.

Main Menu

best way to hook bait for leos?

Started by Kevdog, June 23, 2015, 09:52:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kevdog

How the bed way to hook mac chunks for them big Leos?

raychavez91

Best way for me, keep em cold, I use frozen. And when you chunk it,  you'll notice the spine in the middle,  run your hook through it, it holds great.

sasquatch

Agree with cold. Also a hook big enough to grab some meat and still expose the point. I use 9/0-10/0. I don't go around or through the backbone though. I try to pass just above it. It leaves more hook point exposed, and I feel like it has less in the way of a good hookset. The chunks do stay on longer hooked around the bone.

For a head, I go up through the bottom jaw and out the skull between the eyes.

Pinoyfisher

I keep my baits on ice while fishing so the meat stays firm. Like Ray, I try to run the hook through the spine. If it's the head, I run the hook between the eyes. If the bait is mushy, dental floss.
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)