News:

Prehistoric Soul - 2024

We are pleased to announce that the forum has been successfully updated to the latest version. While the process has been gradual and some posts were unfortunately lost, the forum is now operating on a stable platform. Over the coming weeks, we will continue to make periodic updates, including adjustments to colors, advertisements, and other features. In the meantime, we encourage you to catch up on old posts or contribute new ones. Thank you for your patience and continued support.

Main Menu

Live bait?

Started by spideyjg, June 23, 2015, 12:42:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

spideyjg

Anyone use fresh caught surf perch or croaker instead of mackerel in the surf?

Better, worse, or a wash?

Jim

Latimeria

I like the macks, but Sasquatch does awesome with fresh cut perch and croaker.  Can't beat a match the hatch scenario, especially if you have time to fish for them while you bait and wait!
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

WheresMyBeer

Have caught many Leos on the cut perch. Def works

raychavez91

Perch used to be my confidence bait for leos. But mackerel has easily become my favorite my a huge margin

sasquatch

Targeting leopards I love to cut a live perch in half. Pin it on while it still quivers. Always bring mackerel to be sure I have bait.

Pinoyfisher

You guys have never just pinned on a live, completely intact bait?
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

Latimeria

Quote from: Pinoyfisher on June 25, 2015, 12:56:41 PM

For leopards a few times when I got the right sized perch, I tossed them out.  To be honest, I was more targeting flatties, but caught leopards back when I first moved out here.  Might not be a bad idea, but that hook is not going to keep that bait alive even after first hooking it!  lol
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

Pinoyfisher

I've tried live sardines, but I was also trying for halibut. Got killed a couple of times using it, WAY undergunned! Never saw what it was.
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

sasquatch

Quote from: Pinoyfisher on June 25, 2015, 12:56:41 PM

I have, but prefer the bloody bait.

spideyjg

Sounds like a second rod out for catching bait for the main rig isn't a bad idea.

Big weight, baited sabiki w/ circle hooks, and let the perch hang out.

Jim

Pinoyfisher

Quote from: spideyjg on June 25, 2015, 02:19:14 PM
Sounds like a second rod out for catching bait for the main rig isn't a bad idea.

Big weight, baited sabiki w/ circle hooks, and let the perch hang out.

Jim

As long as you're in a spot where that is allowed.
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

WheresMyBeer

Fun way to kill time. Perch fish and keep a few for bait while waiting for the big rod to load up. Prefer to get them on the c-rig.

Problem for me though ... if I'm fishing for perch only - will catch them by the dozens. If I'm trying to get some for bait, they seem to know this and scatter. Don't get it ... LOL

Mike - have pinned out whole live and done well. I'll take the fillet knife and throw a few slashes dow the sides though.

skrilla

Wounded soilder... cut the tail off and present it alive. It chums itself, then it turns into dead bait if it doesn't get picked up right away. ;)

spideyjg

Quote from: Pinoyfisher on June 25, 2015, 02:21:39 PM

As long as you're in a spot where that is allowed.

Lots of the reserves have no take but some allow shore taking.

Swamis on the DFG site say..

Permitted/Prohibited Uses: Take of all living marine resources is prohibited except:

Recreational take by hook-and-line from shore is allowed.

For  San Dieguito Lagoon Ecological Reserve.:

Take of all living marine resources is prohibited except the recreational take of finfish by hook-and-line from shore.