News:

Prehistoric Soul - 2024

We are pleased to announce that the forum has been successfully updated to the latest version. While the process has been gradual and some posts were unfortunately lost, the forum is now operating on a stable platform. Over the coming weeks, we will continue to make periodic updates, including adjustments to colors, advertisements, and other features. In the meantime, we encourage you to catch up on old posts or contribute new ones. Thank you for your patience and continued support.

Main Menu

Penn Squall 40 for $88.90

Started by Pinoyfisher, August 20, 2015, 10:54:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pinoyfisher

Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

WheresMyBeer

Not seeing it ... but I've been tech challenged b4 ...

Maybe they sold out?

Pinoyfisher

Quote from: WheresMyBeer on August 20, 2015, 10:59:22 PM
Not seeing it ... but I've been tech challenged b4 ...

Maybe they sold out?

Just checked, still there at $88.90. The link shows the 12, but click on drop down menu to select the 40 size.
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

Latimeria

That's quite an unbelievable price!  Wow!

How the hell did you find that hidden gem with the drop down not saying the price?  Was it in a search of some kind?
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

Eric H

Not seeing it. Can someone order an extra  and I'll pay u via paypal??

Eric H

Nvrmnd I saw it
. I'm getting one

Pinoyfisher

Looks like the great price is over, anyone get one?
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

Pinoyfisher

Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

Pinoyfisher

These would make a solid shark reel and 40lb reel for the boats!
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

xjchad

I am sooooooooo close to pulling the trigger on this!

Problem is, I won't have much left for a rod to put it on ::)
Is there a decent rod out there that this will work well on but is on the cheap side?
I've been searching craigslist forever for a conventional surf rod but no luck  :(

Pinoyfisher

Quote from: xjchad on September 01, 2015, 12:51:17 PM

Is there a decent rod out there that this will work well on but is on the cheap side?
I've been searching craigslist forever for a conventional surf rod but no luck  :(

Daiwa Sealine
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

xjchad

Ok, mine's on order  ;D

Maybe this will get me flamed, but could I mount it on my Diawa Sealine 12' MH spinning rod until I get a conventional?
Or will it just not work well?

Pinoyfisher

Quote from: xjchad on September 01, 2015, 02:34:46 PM
Ok, mine's on order  ;D

Maybe this will get me flamed, but could I mount it on my Diawa Sealine 12' MH spinning rod until I get a conventional?
Or will it just not work well?

I doubt it'll be balanced. You'll need a H or XH rod. Something in range of 30-60lb.
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

Fish Jerk

Quote from: xjchad on September 01, 2015, 12:51:17 PM

Depends on what you can spend on the rod.

Daiwa Sealine: model SLS1102HFB       11ft heavy action rated 20-50lb and 2-8 oz
$69 with free shipping on amazon.
http://www.amazon.com/Daiwa-SLS1102HFB-Sealine-Casting-Pounds/dp/B003TLWVEA

Okuma longitude: model LC-C-1202H-1 12ft heavy 20-40lb 3-8oz (my backup rod)
$77 with free shipping on amazon.
http://www.amazon.com/Okuma-Longitude-Graphite-Large-Silver/dp/B003TE6170/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1441157580&sr=8-1&keywords=LC-C-1202H-1

Penn Prevail: model    PRESF2040C12   12ft heavy 20-40lb 4-10 oz (my primary rod with a sealine 40 and fathom 30)
$98 with free shipping on amazon.
http://www.amazon.com/Penn-Prevail-Casting-20-40-1264765/dp/B00IPHW7FG/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1441157149&sr=8-2&keywords=PRESF2040C12

If you can swing the $100 get the Penn. By far the best of the lot IMO. In terms of weight, casting ability, etc, I feel it's easily twice the rod as the other 2.

Pinoyfisher

Based on my experience and that of a couple of others who have a Prevail, I'd stay away from it. Mine broke on a cast where the 2 pieces meet. At first I thought it may have been overloaded (sinker and bait), but I was actually well within its rating. It also happened to someone else in the same manner.

The Sealine is a beast and can handle the abuse! Remember, most on here is using 4-6oz sinkers + the weight of the bait which can sometimes be just as heavy as the sinker. Then casting really puts a load on the rod! The weaker ones will snap.

I started off with a Sealine and loved it. Once my budget increased, I was able to move to rods that were strong, but also more sensitive and made from better components. What's your budget?
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)